okay, i am very new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• okay, i am very new here

i have found a scout i am very close to buying. i was hoping to run this by you guys to see if it is a good deal. any advice is appreciated.

paseted from e-mails from the kid.

____

Its a '79 Scout II, hard top, 345 w/ 727 auto, new brakes from the booster to
    the pads including soft lines, calipers, MC, etc. Its smurf blue, maaco
    paint job in june of this year. Its mechanically very solid, new u
    joints, new rear pinion bearings, new gas tank/fuel pump/ edelbrock 1405
    carb, new dist, wires, cap, plugs, etc. Also new belts, alternator and
    starter, power steering hoses, heater hoses etc.
    Has the remote solenoid installed, i have an AC unit, but it is not
    installed. Body is fair, a little rust that has been patched, new floor
    pans, body work will not win awards, but is very serviceable. No gaping
    rust holes or cancer. CD player/speakers as well. I replaced the
    interrior carpet with marine grade outdoor carpet

Dana 20 TC, Dana 44 front and rear,3.07 gears. I should be home sometime
    wed. after 4. Where in PA are you located? Front hubs have been rebuilt as
    well.

i am going to try to post a pic also.

thanks guys.
    jen
    Attached Files

Looks nice sounds pretty reasonable. Drive it first make sure you don't hear any strange noises. Be sure to put it on a dirt road and engage the four wheel drive. If you can, a compression test is a woderful tool to tell the shape of the engine. If you can't buy a vaccum guage and put it on the engine and run it. Look for good steady idle vaccum and a steady needle at higher rpms too. It can get more complex than that but thats a good start.
    Walker
    '67 scout 800
    '67 Chevy C-10

Comment

love that 4x4 wood bumper!!
      Michael Meyer A.S.E. Certified
      Master Automobile Technician
      Owner: Meyer Technology
      Computer and Small Engine/Car/Truck Repair/Carburator Rebuilding
      77 IH Scout Traveler Midas
      pictures at:www.mtmeyer.com

Comment

Tom Mandera posted a reply to another forum that he archived on his site. Check it out for some additional IH specific stuff.

Other than what's already been mentioned, check the front body mounts, I understand they deteriorate often and are a bear to replace.

Double check the sheet metal repairs. See what's under the front carpet, etc.

Good Luck & let us know how it goes!

Jer
        ~ Jerry

Comment

that scout

i just read on his college website that he's now asking $1900. i think we'll be making a trip south very soon

my husband will be calling him tonight to set it up. thanks guys. and i am sure myself and my husband will be on here soon enough sharing scout stories

btw, was that sarcastic about the wooden bumper? i think the color is gross and i was not too keen on the bumper, or the top for that matter. should we ditch that bumper quick?

Comment

i would get the correct front bumper for it, i just cant see a chunk of wood being much help in an accident.

of course, if you replace the wood with a new wood one every other year or so, i bet it would be pretty strong!

Comment

4X4 wood bumpers were very popular in the 70's.

Look for rust!
              Under the front carpet. Under the rear carpet. Everywhere.
              [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
              [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

were they popular or poplar? oak maybe? lol :p :p

Comment

Originally posted by mdmcs1
                  were they popular or poplar? oak maybe? lol :p :p
                  funny guy ehhh. i have yet to set a date to drive south to see it. the guy needs to unload it by dec. 26th. it is 9 or so hours south of me and to swing a road trip this close to christmas is tough.

Comment

:eek: WOOD that be like hitting a TREE ? :eek:
                    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Why don't all you jokesters LEAF Jen alone. Go branch out & join a splinter group or something!

Too bad the SII isn't green....

Yeah, ditch the bumper. Should be easy enough to find the correct type or you could go aftermarket. Hope you get a chance to see it, regardless of purchase. If you this isn't up to par, you'll at least have a bit more experience looking at them and you'll be better prepared for the next jewel to come along.
                      Last edited by JerryD; 12-08-2003, 02:56 PM.
                      ~ Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD
                        Why don't all you jokesters LEAF Jen alone. Go branch out & join a splinter group or something!

Too bad the SII isn't green....

i can handle any trunk you guys throw at me;) i must admit though i prefer oak over walnut when it comes to wood types. pine just would not do it is much too soft for my mulch pile;)

anyone got an axe i may borrow?

Comment

btw, i'd love it if it were really green. seriously. that baby poop blue color is gross.

Comment

Oh jeez are we starting with the puns? Let me tell you that I will Knot stand for that. If you all want to seem like a bunch of Lumbering idiots thats fine with me just don't be barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps we should branch this BB out and have one just for puns, Wood you guys like that? As Sappy as it may seem I Wood like to keep this just for binders, but then again I'd hate to go against the Grain. I guess change might be good, It would keep us from getting Board.
                            Walker
                            '67 scout 800
                            '67 Chevy C-10

Comment

Okay, I think we have a winner!
                              ~ Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X