IH carb with ford egnition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IH carb with ford egnition

Maybe I'm not understanding or not seeing how this is done. We have great information on how to put the ford guts into an IH distributor, but how do I make it work with a carborated engine? I see i would need the base plate and reluctor. But to get it to activate th coil there needs to be something more. I'm guessing I need the coil and something that will activate it. and how does it get wired in. Just wanting to do this one step at a time until I can go fully TBI.

Just trying to get a list of parts before I go to the "parts store".

thanks for the help,

Alan:confused:

distributor

http://www.justinternationals.org/Bi...?s=&threadid=9

Check out this thread!!
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Thanks, I'll Be shopping soon!

I actually read through that post before but I seemed to have missed it. I think I thought that it was still going to hook up to the TBI. Thanks again.

Comment

O.k, I've been studying this for a while now. I won't be doing the fuel injection for quite some time.

The points have GOT to go! They fry ALL the time. I don't care why they fry, I just want them gone.

With the dura-spark set-up, and new holley distributor from the bone-yard, do I still use the vacuum advance? or just centrif.?

Comment

Originally posted by possum scout
          O.k, I've been studying this for a while now. I won't be doing the fuel injection for quite some time.

The points have GOT to go! They fry ALL the time. I don't care why they fry, I just want them gone.

With the dura-spark set-up, and new holley distributor from the bone-yard, do I still use the vacuum advance? or just centrif.?
          Use both...Then when you decide to go FI you can just disable them.

Don't forget the late 70's early 80's DS dist and ignition box while your at the yard!

If you have the holley points dist...there was another guy who just ground the high spots off the lobes where the points ride and used it for the DS conversion.
          Never tried it my self but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
          Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

which parts do I need to grab?

Going to the "bone-yard" tomorrow. I need to be sure of my shopping list...There is a dist. on a 392 travel-all, and one on a scout I hope. Are they interchangeable?

Also, the instructions say a 6 cyl. ford pick-up? why only 6 cyl.? I need the dist. off the 302???

possum scout

Comment

I would think that all of the DuraSpark pickups are the same, and only the reluctor is different. You must have a reluctor and ignition module for the same number of cylinders that your engine has.

Comment

Re: which parts do I need to grab?

Originally posted by possum scout
                Going to the "bone-yard" tomorrow. I need to be sure of my shopping list...There is a dist. on a 392 travel-all, and one on a scout I hope. Are they interchangeable?

Also, the instructions say a 6 cyl. ford pick-up? why only 6 cyl.? I need the dist. off the 302???

possum scout
                Where does it say 6 cyl??? which instructions are you referring to.
                The 345 and 392 will use the same dist. But the year will make a difference...points, GB, prestolite.

You should be looking for a late 70 early 80 V-8 duraspark dist. the 302-351 will be the same and I think the 460 I used to have was the same also.
                Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                Learn to do it right.

Comment

Bill I think he is reading the Prestolite conversion. There is something in there that says 6 cyl something but I have not read it closly.
                  Posumm scout you should read this article befor you go.
                  http://www.justinternationals.org/ford-hei.htm
                  and this is the IH distributor you need.
                  Attached Files
                  [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                  [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

, I couldn't remember at first where I read about the 6 cylinder thing. I am not going to use my prestolite, because of the machine work involved. (Nearest machine shop is an all day trip!) I actually live way out in the high desert, accessed only by miles of wash board roads!

My other half said he spotted someplace on this board that the holley points distributor is the same as the electronic if you just remove the points assembly off the top? Is this true?

(oh, I am female, I noticed someone thought I was a "he";) )

I know the information I need is probably somewhere right on this board, but I am kind of pressed for time, and am having trouble finding everything. Please bear with me! I live off grid, and can only stay on-line while my battery packs are up, or while I have my generator running!

thank you all! possum scout
                    Last edited by possum scout; 02-14-2003, 06:44 PM.

Comment

dist

someone on here just used the point dist but said he ground the point lobes down some with a bench grinder.
                      I use the holley gold box dist for mine just cause I had them.
                      Since the reluctor sets on top of where the old reluctor or points were I don't see why the point dist would not work.

Thanks for clearing up the gender thing for Mark!!!!!!!
                      Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                      Learn to do it right.

Comment

D'oh! Sorry about the he thing!

It is true the Holley points and Gold box distributor are the same when you take off the top. But you use the top on the Duraspark conversion.

Your description of home sounds like where I used to live. It was great!
                        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                        X