Intank fuel pump??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intank fuel pump??

After looking at the different external pumps at Advance Auto, cheapest being $72. I checked the price of a GM EFI in-tank fuel pump, was surprised to find it at $32. Looked into the mounting and hookups for it and have almost decided on it. I have a custom 38 gallon fuel tank made from 1/8" plate steel. Using a standard pattern fuel sending unit, I can attach the fuel pump between the supply line and the strainer on the bottom. Wires would be ran through a fitting filled with a fuel proof sealer and connected to the pump. Outlet/supply line would be ran through the sending unit's cover.

Any thoughts, ideas??

Thanks,

Jeff

The cost is definitely a nice factor. Have you seen one of these up close? I assume that the fittings are standard flare fittings? I am thinking that this is a viable swap into any fuel tank, just flare your pickup line, put it on, and drive it for 120000 miles.

I wonder why people don't do this with their swaps, though. Is it just the ease of dealing with a failure?(no dropping the tank?)

Comment

Brendan,

Actually the the fitting on the end of the pump is nothing more than a straight tube. This would fit on the end of a fuel supply tube with a short hose and a couple of clamps.

The Cover plate that I have made to mount the tank and connectors will be easily unbolted and removed for any kind of repair/replacement. When my new rear floor goes in this spring, it'll have an access plate to be able to pull that cover . So there won't be any reason to remove that tank again, other than to weld the new floor in.

Pictures will be taken as it is assembled.

Jeff

Comment

Even easier! I might just have to swipe one off my donor vehicle.

Why steel? just easier to fab?

What is the outside diameter of the stock chevy pump? I want to be sure it'll fit though the hole on my stock tank.

Comment

You have to admit it is what GM intended for the rest of the system we are using. What is the fuel pressure required for the GM TBI system?
          I don't think the replacement of a failed in-tank pump would be a concern. Years ago I had one on a 1987 GMC that had 164,000 on it with no failures. Currently I have a 1993 Chevy Caprice retired Cop Car ( Notacop ) that I have the service records for and the pump has not been replaced at 124,000.
          They are a better design in that they are keep cool by being in the tank with the fuel. Kinda spooky that it has electrical lines that could spark in the tank though. I was thinking of getting a complete unit and installing it with the top mounting ring in my tank. Would just have to adjust (cut and weld) for depth.
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

IIRC, the specs on the stock in-tank pump was either 13-15 or 15-17 psi, and the system requirements are 9-13 psi. I have cut the access hole in the top of the tank, will be routing everything through it in a panel/cover that will be held on with bolts.

Jeff

Comment

Hey Mark, those wires could spark all they want inside that fuel tank but they won't be igniting anything. The fuel/air mixture inside a tank with any liquid fuel is too rich for combustion, it simply won't burn.

Ken

Comment

Even a tank on empty but still running?
                an old tank that is not equipped with todays vents, charcoal tanks etc...

I had often wondered. I remember my auto shop teacher in high school (back when they had points) telling us gasoline was not flammable but the fumes were.
                He set a pan of gas in the corner of the shop while we were having class so it sat still for about an hour. After that he has a pole about ten feet with a match on the end and put it out in the gas! Pretty wild teacher, drank a lot though bet his breath was flammable.
                [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

When I get done with the wires, there will be no sparks inside. At least from them. Finished the pump install, need to figure out the wires. Directions say to reconnect to old wires. WEll, I have no old wires to connect to. Preliminary thoughts are the gray is the power and the black is the ground.

Will look more tomorrow.

Jeff

Comment

50/50

it will either suck or blow.

If it follows the GM wiring then I would say gray is Pos.
                    If you put it together and it's wrong you can always reverse the leads outside the tank!
                    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

intank fuel pumps

How is the fuel level sending until held/secured in a SII fuel tank? Is it held by 5 or so machine screws like the 800's or are they locked down with the round ring like the chevy's? If the ring setup then I would look into using a cut down/reworked chevy sending unit/pump assy. This way you would have the wiring connections already permanently sealed in the unit. This thing about the fuel and electricity brings back thoughts of the Flight 800 disaster as this is what they found/said the problem to be was sparks from the in tank fuel pumps. I still don't believe it as all chevy and some fords w/efi have pumps in tank and they don't just explode even with gas not just jet fuel. The pumps are a brush type motor so there is some sparking going on while its pumping. Makes ya wonder!!!
                      My "Disasterpiece"
                      1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
                      The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
                      FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
                      LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
                      NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Interesting statement Bill.

Binderman, the scout II is held in witha twist type locking unit like the chevy's is, however, I cannot use this setup, cause I have a 38 gal custom tank.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, are the rings the same size? How much trouble does it look like for it to work in a Scout II tank?
                          What was your sending unit pump out of?

Comment

Mark,

The pump is out of a 88 Chevy truck. will produce the necessary required pressure.

As far as the rings go, I don't know if they are the same size. I can measure the one from the scout tank in the morning and I'll post a pic of my fuel pump setup.

The sending unit is a JCWhitney $15 special. Yea, I know, not the best in the world. However, when I finally decide on the round gauges for the dash, I'll get the appropriate sending unit. This one will work for now.

HTH,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle-Mark
                              Jeff, are the rings the same size? How much trouble does it look like for it to work in a Scout II tank?
                              What was your sending unit pump out of?
                              A GM fuel pump will fit through the hole in a stock Scout tank. On mine, I have a Scout sending unit with the GM pump attached to it at the bottom. The extra fuel line and wires go through holes in the Scout sending unit and are sealed with a fuel-resistant epoxy. The stock fuel outlet is then used as the return.

It's a little tricky, but not too bad, and it works really well.

Comment

Working...
                              X