msd ignition control box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• msd ignition control box

Can I use an msd ignition control box as a direct replacement for the gold box? Thanks.

I looked into that and the answer I got was NO.
    The pick-up in the Gold Box distributor will not fire the MSD.
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Are there any easy solutions to replacing the goldbox? I would like to replace it, but I cant afford much downtime right now.

Comment

The fastest way is to replace the Gold Box. Their bad reputation comes after years of use or leaving the key on without the motor running (long periods).
        Second best (second cheapest) would be any other distributor that came in an IH (no kit available for the Gold Box distributor yet) and then a Petronics Igniter. It will trigger the coil directly or trigger the MSD and I have heard in theory it will fire the HEI module. Someone correct me on that if they tryed yet?

http://www.pertronix.com/ignition/ignitor/index.htm
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Replace the gold box with a new one? The pertronix requires another dist., their conversion kit, anything else? Sorry, I have read alot of the other threads and it seems that there are a million different options on how to replace the ignition system. I would like the simplest and most reliable, I guess reliability is the most important. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Yeah I know! I have had a gold box too!
            Still runnin though.

Comment

distributor

If you are mechanically inclined you can do the full Ford duraspark conversion. It is almost a bolt in conversion and cheap if you go to a junkyard for parts. All the info is in other threads on this site!
              look around.

HTH
              Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
              HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
              May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
              Learn to do it right.

Comment

Houston, since you seem dubious here is the most straightforward approach:

1- Buy a Holley points distributor, rotor and cap. If you want a vehicle id - always helpful with the counter monkeys- you can use one of my trucks: 1970 1200D. They have been readily available at NAPA for ~100 bucks, probably cheaper elsewhere.

2- Buy the Pertronixs kit for that from John Glancy at SSS. $65 bucks.

You're going to throw away about all your gold box stuff. I don't know what GB wiring looks like, so somebody else should pop in here to make sure you don't wind up disconnecting the coil, but once you have that right then you will just hook the Pertronics to the coil.

Comment

Thanks for everybodys help. I am fairly mechanically inclined, I have been working on cars since I was a kid. I like the ford ignition idea the best, simply because I have drive fords for a while and never had any ignition problems. But I keep gettin in trouble for using the shop at work to do stuff, so I need to keep fabrication to a minimum. I guess I will go with the holly dist with petronix, thanks again for all the parts numbers and ideas.

Comment

distributor

I'll take your old holley gold box dist when you pull it!!!!!!
                    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Just found a GP sorenson gold box at advance auto parts for 60 bucks, any thoughts on just keepin this in the truck as a spare?

Comment

That would work or I can send you mine including shipping for $30? It's out, I am doing a fuel injection conversation.

I thought you were broke and trying to upgrade while replacing parts.

The duraspark is by far the best conversion for the cheapest parts if your getting them from a salvage yard.

The Pertronics has been around for awhile and has been very reliable.

Comment

Working...
                        X