BIN question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIN question

I have been lurking for awhile, and have a newbie question. Seems like most are using the 747 ECM, my question is what BIN do you start with? Is everyone running a 5.7 BIN and then tweaking it?? Has anyone published a baseline 345 BIN?? I know there are a ton of Chev 350 BINs available??

Re: BIN question

Originally posted by troutbum
    I have been lurking for awhile, and have a newbie question. Seems like most are using the 747 ECM, my question is what BIN do you start with? Is everyone running a 5.7 BIN and then tweaking it?? Has anyone published a baseline 345 BIN?? I know there are a ton of Chev 350 BINs available??
    Well that's a good question....
    Right now I have about 4 different versions of my chip that I am working with. I really don't care if it is a 305 or 350 bin to start with because the base pulse width needs to be reset anyways. I import my own timing tables and adjust the idle and error switches, egr......
    Have I posted one ....no, mine are a work in progress. I have done them for some of the guys in my club but not on the open market. There are comercial companies that will sell you one and I don't want to try and compete with them. Guess I would need a name for them and register them so no one could copy them(ya right)

So back to the question...manual or automatic???
    ASDU, ANLW, ASDW, AMUN, AKAL, AND LATELY THE AMUR.

HTH
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Re: Re: BIN question

Originally posted by Bill usn-1

ASDU, ANLW, ASDW, AMUN, AKAL, AMUR.

HTH
      OK just when I started to think that I was begining to understand some of the FI thing ;) the only one I understood of that bunch was HTH. (Back to lurk and learn mode)

It would be nice to be able to start with a factory/baseline BIN and make small changes as you go.

I guess it is just part of the fun of driving a tracta, was trying to jump in a toe at a time, rather than with both feet.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: BIN question

OK just when I started to think that I was begining to understand some of the FI thing ;) the only one I understood of that bunch was HTH. (Back to lurk and learn mode)

It would be nice to be able to start with a factory/baseline BIN and make small changes as you go.

I guess it is just part of the fun of driving a tracta, was trying to jump in a toe at a time, rather than with both feet.
        Don't give up yet!!!!
        When you start talking about BINs I assume you know what they are and how to recognize them. All of the 4 letter groups are the BIN identifiers assigned by GM for each specific car, engine tranny combo. Go to the link for the gmecm web site and look under the ecm info: http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ecm_info/
        Look under the 1227747 and at the bottom you will see a lot of different bins. That is just a few compared to what is on their FTP site.
        I do just what you said, I change a little at a time to see how it works.
        Keep learning!!!!
        try to visit some of the links mark posted on the main FI page here.

HTH more.
        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: BIN question

Don't give up yet!!!!
          Oh I am not giving up trust me ;) . I just meant there is lot to learn.

you really bring up the point I was trying to make with my question, where to start?

Sure I know, read as much as you can and all but when it is time to start burning PROMs where do you start?

Some of it is easy, 8 cyl, 5.7 is close to 345 displacement, not sure why auto or manual would matter in our application ( FWIW i have a tf727)?

I assume AMUR or ASDZ9578 would be a place to start...how much tweaking would you have to do to get an AMUR BIN to run on a 345? Not run great, just run so you could see the impacts of your changes, not just SWAG.

Does this make any sense?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BIN question

Some of it is easy, 8 cyl, 5.7 is close to 345 displacement, not sure why auto or manual would matter in our application ( FWIW i have a tf727)?

I assume AMUR or ASDZ9578 would be a place to start...how much tweaking would you have to do to get an AMUR BIN to run on a 345? Not run great, just run so you could see the impacts of your changes, not just SWAG.

Does this make any sense?
            What you want to start with is something as close to what we have as possible like you said. Don't think there is not a reason for everything!!
            Try to find the heaviest vehicle and one used in about like ours. So maybe a truck or van with a 5.7 since our 345 is a 5.6 and for the 304 guys it would be the 305/5.0.
            You said you weren't sure why auto or man made a difference??? Think about how the motor is used in each. what rpm is used to get the truck moving and how is that power applied. It completely changes the timing curve for the 2 motors. So if you run an auto than you should start with the auto chip if you are trying to get it going with out burning a new chip. you need to set up your initial timing just like the factory did for the vehicle you got the chip out of. Most are zero with the timing jumper disconnected.
            If you do this the scout will start and run and drive without doing anything else.
            What you will probably find is it will be a little slugish off the line. This is because the IH motor like a little more timing. But you can't move the distributor.
            So as a starting point I used the spec from ..I think it was the low compression motors that had the most timing.
            While you are doing this you will need to monitor the engine sensors with a laptop so you know what it is doing.
            Monitoring the BLM(block learn mode) map will tell you how rich or lean the motor is running at each throttle setting.
            So your initial tuning will be a little timing and checking the AFR(air fuel ratio).

so...do you still want to play????
            Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BIN question

so...do you still want to play????
              Absolutely!

you answered my question, I was worried that it would take mass amount of tweaking just to get it to run,

once running I am alright with trial and error method..guess it is time to look for parts and buy some hardware/software

Comment

Working...
              X