ECM w/o Security System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM w/o Security System

My buddy finally convinced me to start gathering the parts for a TBI conversion. Since we don't have a decent "mall" within 90 miles I'm limited to online hunting. My buddy told me to steer clear of an ECM that came on a vehicle with a security system. I found a 1227747 for a reasonable price.

Is there any way to tell from the numbers if it was from a vehicle with a security sytem or is this easily bypassed?

That is the ECM of choice, never heard about one being a problem with security?
    Did it come from a V8 engine?
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

VATS

Vehicle anti theft system or something like that.
      it was used on some of the ecm's but I haven't seen it on the 7747.
      I have disabled it on a couple of the car 8746 ecm's.
      check the car-part.com web site. sometimes you can get good prices from some of the online "malls"
      HTH
      Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
      HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
      May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
      Learn to do it right.

Comment

Actually found a selection

I found a couple of them. One is from a V8 and the other from a V6 but both are 7747's. About a $5 difference. I dug back through some old posts and found a seller on eBay that y'all recommended. He also has sets of 5 sensors with either early or late throttle position sensors. He has a wiring harness from a 93 pickup, too. Is that something I should pick up?

I looked through Jeff's donor list but didn't see any mention about wiring harnesses.

I was told that I should look for the fuel injector from a 305 to get close for my 304. Found one of those, too. Comes with a couple of the sensors on it.

After looking into getting a suitable carb set up, the price to do the TBI doesn't look so bad.

Is there any problem mixing and matching the parts from various vehicles?

I figured I'd snag the parts as I run across them.

Comment

mix and match

My preference on inj is the 350. the 305 will work just fine so don't think you have to go out and get a 350 TB.
          But I look at it like this...if you are getting a complete system and going to install it and try to get it running without doing anything else then get one as close to your engine size as possible.
          If you are planning on burning a chip for your vehicle before you start driving it everywhere than I say if you can get the next size inj go for it. You can always turn the fuel map down in the chip for the larger inj. but if you get to be marginal with the smaller inj...headers, cam, etc... then where can you go if you are at max already?
          So think about where you are and where you might go....
          As for parts they mix and match as long as they are for the right system don't try to get a 95 harness for a 88 computer.
          I think the harness steve in PA had was just a pig tail about 1-2 ft off of the computer but I could be wrong. he may have found a complete harness. If it is a 93 then make sure it was for the 7747 ecm. His sensors are all good. Haven't gotten a bad one yet. Again, what TPS are you going to use. you cant put an early tps on a late tps TB. and the harness will need the plug for the same tps.
          I have found the astro van 4.3 to be the most plentiful in the yards around me. Seems no one wants them. the harness will work. If you stay with everything about the same year you should be fine.

HTH
          Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

It all helps

Bill,

At this point in my learning curve, everything is helpful.

The TB from a 305 I was looking at still has the TPS and Idle sensor on it.

On my buddy's FI V6 for his M38A1, he bought a universal harness (from Turbo City) and it worked out well. But then, he was already using a GM ignition, too.

I noticed the EGR Valve Solenoid on the donor list. My buddy didn't use one on his. He said his harness didn't even come wired for it. Are you running the EGR on yours?

Your reasoning on the 305 vs. 350 makes sense. You never know, I might get a wild hair and decide to pick up a 345 to build for my Scout.

Thanks,

Paul
            aka:

Comment

Re: It all helps

Originally posted by sandracer
              Bill,

At this point in my learning curve, everything is helpful.

The TB from a 305 I was looking at still has the TPS and Idle sensor on it.

On my buddy's FI V6 for his M38A1, he bought a universal harness (from Turbo City) and it worked out well. But then, he was already using a GM ignition, too.

I noticed the EGR Valve Solenoid on the donor list. My buddy didn't use one on his. He said his harness didn't even come wired for it. Are you running the EGR on yours?

Your reasoning on the 305 vs. 350 makes sense. You never know, I might get a wild hair and decide to pick up a 345 to build for my Scout.

Thanks,

Paul
              aka:
              There are several universal harnesses out there that will work.
              Painless makes one.
              I'm sure the sponsor AFI makes one.

To answer the EGR question...Yes and No
              1 of mine I do 1 I don't.
              My street scout I do cause it was there already.
              My trail scout...no.
              Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
              Learn to do it right.

Comment

and the spacer?

About the TBI spacer.....

I've got the CAD drawings and the articles on the spacer but all the info says, "345". Didn't the 345 and 304 use the same 2 bbl base? Basically the Holley 2300?

Thanks

Comment

Re: and the spacer?

About the TBI spacer.....

I've got the CAD drawings and the articles on the spacer but all the info says, "345". Didn't the 345 and 304 use the same 2 bbl base? Basically the Holley 2300?

Thanks
                  Yep,
                  same thing.
                  Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                  Learn to do it right.

Comment

whew!

Thanks.

I showed the drawings to my 16 year old and he wants to build the adapter for me. He's become a pretty good fabricator building battlebots from scratch. Think I'll get a chunk of aluminium and turn him loose. Actually, I think he has ulterior motives. I think he's buttering me up for a trip to the mall to search for a stouter rear for his Duster. Whatever it takes to keep him busy in the garage....... Better greasy, dirty, and at home than out raising hell .....

I checked out several harness venders. All the prices are real close. Probably just go with AFI, if they're in the ballpark,and see if they'll burn a chip for me too. Judging from their system prices, they ought to be right in line, or better.

Comment

Re: whew!

Thanks.

I showed the drawings to my 16 year old and he wants to build the adapter for me. He's become a pretty good fabricator building battlebots from scratch. Think I'll get a chunk of aluminium and turn him loose. Actually, I think he has ulterior motives. I think he's buttering me up for a trip to the mall to search for a stouter rear for his Duster. Whatever it takes to keep him busy in the garage....... Better greasy, dirty, and at home than out raising hell .....

I checked out several harness venders. All the prices are real close. Probably just go with AFI, if they're in the ballpark,and see if they'll burn a chip for me too. Judging from their system prices, they ought to be right in line, or better.
                      You got to keep them busy or they will find things to do on their own.
                      The price of an 8 3/4 or 9?? rear is cheap to keep him around.

keep us posted on the progress.
                      Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                      Learn to do it right.

Comment

You have to remember with AFI harness (kit) you also get a chip, fuel pump, adapter and a harness.
                        None of the others compare.
                        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

and the adapter, too?

My son will be so disappointed.

You are talking about the TBI to intake manifold adapter, right?

I started adding up the prices of the components and for not much more, I could just get the whole kit from them.

But, hunting for the stuff is a big part of the fun for me. I'll get in touch with them next week.

Thanks

Comment

disty questions

I decided to try and find another IH disty and leave my current one intact. Does it matter whether the disty is from a 304 or a 345?

On the Ford disty, will a duraspark III work? The one I found has a smaller cap than the other durasparks I've seen. Almost looks like a stock IH cap. This one was for a '82 to '87 Mustang 302.

Thanks,

Comment

distributor

The IH will be the same.

Never saw a DS III.
                              Is it mag pickup?
                              It's up to you if you want to try another conversion article!!!!
                              Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                              Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                              X