Will this TBI system work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this TBI system work?

I am not much of a mechanic, but I am learning a great deal via these boards thanks to all of you kind experts. My question is, can a TBI system from a Pontiac Sunbird with a 2.0L 4 cyl. be made to work in a 1970 Scout with an AMC 232 6 cyl. engine. I just bought the Scout and am about to junk the Sunbird. I thought it might be smart to grab the TBI from the Sunbird while I have it, if would be of use to me. Also, would the same TBI system be able to work on an IH 196 (my next project). Thank you for any advice and insight you can give me.

T.J.

Re: Will this TBI system work?

Originally posted by T.J.
    I am not much of a mechanic, but I am learning a great deal via these boards thanks to all of you kind experts. My question is, can a TBI system from a Pontiac Sunbird with a 2.0L 4 cyl. be made to work in a 1970 Scout with an AMC 232 6 cyl. engine. I just bought the Scout and am about to junk the Sunbird. I thought it might be smart to grab the TBI from the Sunbird while I have it, if would be of use to me. Also, would the same TBI system be able to work on an IH 196 (my next project). Thank you for any advice and insight you can give me.

T.J.
    Off the top of my head I would say no to the amc 6cyl.
    At least not without a lot of changes due to the # of cyl.
    Try the 4.3 v-6 system for that.

Now the sunbird on the 196 sounds like a good project.
    If you are going to junk the bird then I would grab everything.
    all sensors connected to the harness.
    you didn't say what year the sunbird was.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info. and quick response Bill. It's a 1990 Sunbird and the reason I thought it might work in the 6 cyl. is because I thought a TBI system would just be injecting the fuel at one (central) place (like where a carb. would be) rather then having injectors at each cyl. like the MPFI system. I will definitely take your expert word for it though and plan on using it with the 196. I will grab everything you said. I'm really happy to know that I can use it in some way (next project) and won't have to go out and pay for everything. I'm sure I will have to buy some things to get it done, but it seems like this will save me some $$.

T.J.

Comment

Welcome aboard T.J. Glad to see some one else thinking out of the box.

Jeff

Comment

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by T.J.
          Thanks for the info. and quick response Bill. It's a 1990 Sunbird and the reason I thought it might work in the 6 cyl. is because I thought a TBI system would just be injecting the fuel at one (central) place (like where a carb. would be) rather then having injectors at each cyl. like the MPFI system. I will definitely take your expert word for it though and plan on using it with the 196. I will grab everything you said. I'm really happy to know that I can use it in some way (next project) and won't have to go out and pay for everything. I'm sure I will have to buy some things to get it done, but it seems like this will save me some $$.

T.J.
          Just so you understand.. the reason you need a 6 cyl system is the ECM has to be programmed with the proper number of cyl. if you try to run a 6 cyl with a 4 cyl ecm it will get confused in a hurry.
          your thinking on the throttle body is good though. It would be a matter of the size of the injectors(jets) to flow enough for the 2 additional cyl.
          Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
          HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
          X