Delco Remey Distributor conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delco Remey Distributor conversion

I have an International Loadstar Model 1603 "Schoolmaster" school bus, which I have converted into a traveling motel. When I told everyone that I was going to convert a school bus they would say "a bus!!??) and I would say "yep a bus" hence the handle "YEPABUS".

At any rate I have built an SV392 and I do mean BUILT!! One of the items that I am currently working with is a 4 barrel Accel TBI with programable ECM so I need to convert a distributor to the Ford Dura-spark set up.

Which leads me to the question ,has any one done a Delco Remey.?? I have a "TALL PEDESTAL" one, from a Loadstar dump truck, that currently has points in it. I like the tall pedestal because it makes it easier to get to inside the engine area. ANY THOUGHTS??

Befor you ask the SV is now 398.5 cuin, balanced, linehoned, both crank and cam journals, decked, squared. heads ported, with 440 valve springs, spring hats, keepers and a CAM CRAFT cam. It all looks like 446 ftlbs of torques at 2000 rpm on the Desk Top Dyno simulator program. I am running Loadstar exhaust manifolds instead of headers. I assure you that they eill flow very close to a Stans Header without the header "noise"

My other International is a 1874 Model 200 P/U with a 3/4 ton camper package and a SV392 with a 727 behind it.

I've never done a delco distr but it brings two chains of thought:

1. with the number of available donor holley dist's why keep the delco.
    If it is all digital FI and Ign than how often do you plan on having to work on the dist to want to keep the taller one?

2. If you really want to keep the delco above all else, than try the same DS parts and see how they fit. Only about $20 in the junk yard.
    If you are using the accel system then the magnetic pickup probably isn't even required and you could just use the stock ignition with the trigger coming from the (-)side of the coil or if you have an msd system then it will come off of the tach output.

HTH
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Holley and MSD

Bill, are you saying, in essence, that I can use the Holley electronic distributor, in conjunction with an MSD C/D ignition box, linked to my Accel Digital TBI ECU to control the spark advance/retard curve as long as I disable the vacuum and centrifigal advances on the distributor???

Comment

Re: Holley and MSD

Originally posted by yepabus
        Bill, are you saying, in essence, that I can use the Holley electronic distributor, in conjunction with an MSD C/D ignition box, linked to my Accel Digital TBI ECU to control the spark advance/retard curve as long as I disable the vacuum and centrifigal advances on the distributor???
        Not knowing the input required by the accel I can't make that statement.
        I was saying you could do the full DS conversion with the holley dist or use the current stock system(I take it the delco is points) and a MSD system added or you could get rid of the points for a pertronics.
        Do you have the book for the accel system.
        You need to see what the ign input requirements are.
        If it has full timing and fuel control built in, you may only need the holley dist with the DS pickup or some kind of magnetic pick up just like we use for the GM system.

I'll look online and see if I can find anything on the system.
        What is the part number or model of the system you are using?
        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Here is what I found at: http://www.mrgasket.com/dfigen7.html
          Looks like a nice system. It looks like this will run on any signal you want to give it. even the stock holley hall effect pick up.
          Looks to me like you could run any system you want and it should work. Now I don't have the instructions so there still has to be a connection to the computer and coil to control timing.
          I would say it is not cheap!

Feature: Software Selectable Ignition Compatibility eliminates the need to have your ECU modified by the factory because of ignition upgrades . The Gen VII ECU can understand and process signals from GM HEI and Opti-Spark Ignitions, Ford Thick Film Ignitons, Fixed Advance Magnetic Pick-up ignitions, (both Flying Lug and Flying Magnet), and Fixed Advance Hall-Effect ignitions.
          Benefit: Less inventory needs to be stocked to cover applications. Possibly more important, if your Gen VII controlled LT-1 is having troubles, there is a way to check if your Gen VII ECU is related to the troubles. It is possible to borrow a Gen VII ECU from your buddy's Mustang, use CALMAP 2002 to download your entire LT-1 calibration into his Gen VII ECU, and now you have another ECU that will run your LT-1.

Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
          X