Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Line requirements?

Hi All,

What size fuel lines are you guys running?
    Are there any special requirements for the added pressure?
    Don't know what kind of pressure is in the lines from the say in tank pump and the regulator on the throttle body? The regulator itself is supposed to be between 9 and 13 psi so is that what the return line is running?
    I haven't figured out if any body has outlets for the throttle body yet. But either the in tank pump or in line pump both look like hose clamp fittings. Wonder of the spring clamps would be sufficient at the tank, with the pump in there? I don't like hose clamps up on top of the tank where you can't reach them for a tighten or test...
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

With a intank pump I would not trust spring clamps on the fuel line. They make fuel injection clamps that don't hurt the hose like the screw clamps do. The only way you will have pressure on the return line is if there is a restriction. which you don't want since that will throw the regulator off.
    I will tell you what I used but don't take it as a recommendation!!!
    I used 3/8 OD copper line and followed the same path as the original plastic 5/16 line.
    I use the 3/8 for the feed line and connect it on each end with high pressure FI hose and FI clamps. You can get barbed fittings for the TBI straight from holley. They screw right into the back of the TB. I put a double flare on the ends of the 3/8 line to prevent the hose from slipping off when under pressure.
    Then I use the original plastic line for the return line.
    My 1 tank had an extra return fitting on top so I used it. The other one I had to make a tee out of brass fittings and tie into the vent hose for the fuel fill.

Don't forget a good filter! or 2.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Mark,
      I used Summit Racing aluminum fuel line, 3/8" for feed, 5/16" for return. I ran the lines next to each other on top of the right frame rail (2 inch body lift), flared the tubing at each junction, and used FI hose and FI hose clamps at every connection. Anchored the fuel line to the frame by welding 1/4" X 1" bolts to the top of the frame and used rubber insulated 3/8" and 5/16" loops to hold the lines. The aluminum line was real easy to route shape and flare.
      Mickey

Comment

The gas line you guys are using at the ends is designed for fuel injection and so are the clamps. So I am assuming I could just run new line from tank to throttle body and back with fuel injection clamps at each end?

My tank has extra inlets for the return but I may use a in tank pump with the GM return? The tanks extra fittings are from charcoal canister. My truck did not have one but the replacement tank I got did so I have plenty of return lines.

The barbed fittings from Holley are they both 3/8 or do they have a 5/16 return? I'm guessing the in-tank set up would have a 5/16 return as well? I haven't seen mine yet it is shipping...
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

My Holley 4Di TBI has a 3/8" barbed in-let fitting and a 5/16" barbed out-let. When you run the hard line, make sure you isolate it from vibration. I used a section of FI hose in the hard line where it transitions from the frame rail to the engine compartment and fitted a bracket to stabilize the hard lines between the TBI and the frame (my injection pump and big metal filter are also in there). At the tank end, I have 2' of hose from the tank out-let tube [5/16"] to an in-line filter and a 7psi Holley 'street' fuel pump mounted to the back of the frame next to the tank. I have a 3/8" barbed out-let on this pump with a short lenght of hose to the 3/8" fuel line. The return line terminates in one of the several extra 5/16" tubes that were already on my tank.

Mickey

Comment

Any body happen to have part numbers for the barbed hose fitting for the throttle body?
            Just checked Summit and Holley with no luck.

Comment

Mark,
              On the 4Di, the barbed in and out fittings are just part of the TB, not shown as separate parts. I'm sure they are just standard hose fittings, either pipe threaded or standard. Measure the threads in your TB, or take the whole thing down to your favorate auto parts emporium or large hardware store. The barbed fittings should be easy to find.
              Mickey

Comment

Working...
              X