'85 'stang TBI on IH 232?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '85 'stang TBI on IH 232?

i have decided on the TBI system from an '85 ford mustang 232 V6 for my IH 232 straight 6. do you think this is a good idea or do you know, from experience or your vast expertice, of a better donor vehicle for most of the parts(ecm, the throttle body itself, etc)?

also, i have the stock vacuum advanced distributer, do you know of any good donors for the magnetic advanced base plate so that it can be hooked up to the ecm? any info or advice at all would be liked.

thanks,

sean

I'm not familiar with the Ford system you picked but the first thing I would ask is:
    Is the chip re-programmable?

The GM 1227747 seems to be the ECM of choice by the DIY crowd because of it's re-programming capabilities.

The Ford issue has come up before because of the bolt pattern being the same as the throttle body off the Ford. If I remember correctly it wouldn't be usable with the GM ECM.
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Good Luck

Not knowing a ton about the Scouts I am assuming that International made a 232 straight six engine. if you are going to fuel inject it do not use the Ford system. The Ford system is a high pressure system and there is literally no way to reprogram the chip to work on your engine.

Use the GM 1227747 or the 1228746 ECM. There are some people on this forum that can make you chips or we can make one for you. You will do a lot of chasing your tail trying to make the ford system work and the GM system in the long run will be much less expensive to build and operate.

If you use the Ford system good luck because you will pretty much be on your own to make it work.

Comment

The six cylinders that came in Scouts were an AMC motor.
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

AMC Scout motors

WE do them all the time with a great deal of success in J**p's. The AMC engine requires an adapter plate that takes a lot of machining but it works very well. We build our TBI systems from a 4.3L base with some tweaks to take into account the long runers tot he front cylinders.

Comment

i read on another thread that the stock chip could work for his engine without burning a new one, if he is not looking for lots of added power. all i am looking for is a little added torque and hp, mainly from improved efficiency and a little added cfm from the 2 bbl throttle body instead of the 1 bbl carb, but mostly i don't want a choke or any more dang FLOAT BOWLS. (it always cuts out on hills!) do you think that what i want out of the tbi would be gained with the stock chip from the tbi swap?

thanks for all you guys' expert addvice!

sean

Comment

Ford TBI

Yes it will work but if you have problems there will be no way to tune it with a different chip. Now that being said we sell a piggyback system that can intercept the signals and give you a "programmable" unit. These units are kind of expensive though.

Comment

well i don't think i am going to try my luck on a ford conversion if it won't be programable. i also don't know if the gm would work as well since the closest they have is a 4.3 liter when mine is a 3.8 liter. the ford was a 3.8 liter thats why it attracted me, but i want my options open if the stock chip doesn't work out. you know?

also i don't know much about burning a new chip, i mean i could borrow a laptop and scroung up the connection stuff from radio shack and get some friends to help, but i don't know anything after that. i can get the info and get the software but how much do you think it will cost for someone to burn a new chip for me?

thanks again

sean

oh, and do you think my stock points, with a customized magnetic pickup, would put out enough spark to run good with the tbi?

Comment

GM TBI

We charge $95 for a chip and will work with you to get it right.

No points, you are asking for trouble. MSD conversion, Gm conversion or modify a scout electronic ignition.

Comment

wow thats a good price.
                    thanks for the help.

sean

Comment

Working...
                    X