Wow! So glad to find this...few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! So glad to find this...few questions

I've got a '78 Scout II with holley's 2di system on it. It has been off the road for almost two years now and i just got it fired back up. Here are some tuning questions.

1. any opinions on air fuel ratio meters, which work well, which don't... i've got an autometer led style setup that runs to an independent o2 sensor on the bank opposite from my closed loop setup. that way i don't have to swap sensors every time i want to tune with closed loop shut off.

2. fuel pressure. what have similar users been successful with?

3. the "High RPM" trim knob - is this even remotely relevant to my setup? it says it controls the trim above 3000rpm. my scout revs to about 3200rpm max on any given day.

4. any ideas for how to get this past smog in california with the air pumps disconnected. has anyone been successful going to the referee? seems the adjustibility of the system will procedurally make it unsuitable for exemption.

that's enough for now. nice meeting y'all...

jason

EGT Question also...

I've also got an egt gauge in my exhaust path. It runs between 800 and 1200 degrees depending on load.

I have heard this is the best way to figure out mixture, but without a baseline it seems i have another load sensing gauge and that's it.

Any thoughts or fellow egt gauge users out there?

jason

Comment

here i am talking to myself...

it appears (according to a local smog tech shop) that my truck is running perfectly. i've still got high egt's, but according to the shop, the truck passes smog sniffer with flying colors.

unfortunately there is no one around (so far that i've found) who'll pass the visual for the non carb approved projection. any ideas? i'm in el dorado county if that matters, yes california.

jason

Comment

Jason,
        If you are only able to rev to 3200 rpms your ECM is probanly getting a faulty input. You sould feed the ECM with the TAC lead off the MSD6.....If you are feeding the ECM from the coil lead, the ECM is seeing the multiple spark sequence from the MSD and the ECM thinks the engine is turning around 13,000 rpm! You should have no trouble reving to MUCH higher levels, I use 5000 rpm as my rev limit for a re-built and balanced 392.

The 2Di is programable from a laptop. Take a look at the Data Monitor screen, note if the mixture is rich or lean at 1000 rpm increments then go to the Fuel Map screen and adjust the fuel map so that it's 10% - 15% rich across the range. The Closed Loop will adjust the mixture delivered to the engine to optimum.

Comment

man i could probably rev to six grand if i wanted the mill to start spittin valvesprings.

the point is, i only rev to about 3200 during my daily driving.

so how do i plug this little monster into a computer? it's only got six potentiometers to adjust it right now. i also have a haltech e6k that i'm working on using to run a bmw 3.6 liter turbo straight six and i'm longing for the options it has...only on my holley system.

plugging it into a computer would be a great option...

jason

Comment

Ahhhhhh....

ok i'm an idiot. i missed the part about running the projection off the tach lead out of the msd. i don't know if this is how i'm currently running the setup, but i'm about 90% sure it is.

jason

Comment

Jason,
              If you have a 2Di it will have a DB-9 pigtail hanging out of the ECM. If you have a 2D, you will only have the potentiometers.

If you unit is the 2Di, you will need the Holley software (they are real good about sending out the latest version on request) and a FE to FE DB-9 cable to connect it to your laptop.

I have had good succes with Chris Fox at Holley Tech Support, 270 781-9741, [email protected].
              Mickey

Comment

Jason,
                One more thing, I don't have the Control Modual, so maybe that is what is connected to the DB-9 interface.
                Mickey

Comment

mickey you are the guy my dad knew aren't you. you know dave griffith? i think we've spoken before on the phone back when my scout was brand new to me.

dad wants to know who you're workin for! email me!

mine is just a 2d...can i upgrade my ecu?

jason

Comment

Working...
                  X