Air Cleaner for TBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Cleaner for TBI

Basically, are there any compelling arguments for running an open air cleaner element vs. a closed one on a TBI set up?

The winter temps where I live are what most of y'all (Washington & Idaho, & other parts North) call summer. I'm currently running an open element filter on my carb and have seen open elements used on a few TBI's in the area. My Scout is just old enough that it is not subject to smog checks and the accompanying visual inspection.

Hood clearance is also a concern. My Scout has a 1 inch body lift and a 2 1/4 inch element just barely fits.

I have only seen two scouts with FI and both had been installed by Bill. Did not see Bills with hood up but I think (pretty sure) the other one which belongs to a member of Bills same club was running one of those million mile washable filters (k&n?). Lots of those being sold for the other fuely engines, so I say go for it. In my part of the world I can't see one being of any benefit to me as 90 percent of or streets and roads are dirt. We almost need some form of aspirator setup on our farm vehicles it's so bad!! Good luck!!!
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

I am installing a stock round air filter from a 1988 chevy truck on mine. It looks like I will have to notch a little bit by the water housing. It also points straight to the passenger fender where the washer bottle is, I will move the washer body forward and run a hose to the fender with a hole cut exactly where the washer bottle was.
      I'll take some pictures when I get there...
      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Mark,

Are you notching to clear the water housing or to make room for spark plug wires?

I was looking at an air cleaner with an offset base to give me more room for the plug wires. I think it was originally designed for a Camaro with TBI to give disty clearance. My wires are currently kinda smushed (technical term) between the air cleaner base and the water housing.

I'll be looking for the pics when you get yours set up.

Binderman,

10-4 on the aspirator. We've got some areas around here where the roads are too fine to call sand. We call the stuff "moon dust". A K&N with an outer or pre-filter works well with carbs. On my old sand rails we even added a few layers of stockings over the filters. Pretty bad when you have to ask the wife for old pantyhose to keep the dirt out of your engine. But, it worked. I just didn't know if the TBI system would be picky about the air cleaner, heat risers, etc...

Comment

I use 3 different ones right now.

10 in round, chrome
          stock TBI cut to clear and make open style.
          And the cone, cold air style sold on ebay for the chevy truck TBI. $37.

All 3 work.
          depends on what you are looking for.

Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
          HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

snadracr,
            I have to get the TBI mounted on the adapter so I get an accurate measurement. It looks like it would have to be notched a little for thermostat housing right where the plug wires go. Another option for me and those that have a body lift is to use two or three air cleaner spacer that comes with the-TBI air cleaner, or make one? Shouldn't be long had some family medical issue's pop up this year, but that's life...
            [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks y'all.

I just wanted to make sure the TBI wasn't finicky about needing a closed system with heat tubes and such.

Just found out I'm heading out on TDY soon so I'll have to put the FI project on hold. By the time I get back It'll be too hot to work on it unless I can convince the wife that we need to put a window a/c unit in the garage.

Comment

One thing they are finicky about probably won't affect you is the throttle body likes to ice up on cold humid days. Thats why I (in Idaho) am using the heat riser and stock air cleaner.

When I lived down there I had a swamp cooler in the shop...

Whats TDY ?

Comment

I've have a swamp cooler in the shop for the last 2 years. I had to service it 2 to 3 times a season and it didn't do diddly during the hottest parts of the summer except spit out hard water droplets on everything within range. Darn near ruined my vise.

As I'm sure you recall, cold and humid is not a problem here. The only ice we see is in the freezer and the beer cooler. We did get a morning frost this winter; first time in the 6 years we've been back out here.

TDY is Temporary DutY.

Comment

I had a small line from the water softener on the house to the shop swamp cooler.
                    It still got some buildup but you could hose it off...

Comment

Bill, ebay cold air

Bill,
                      Do you have a user name for the individual that sells that $37.00 cold air kit for the Chev truck you mentioned?

Thanks
                      Mark

Comment

it was seidiedog.
                        got another from reddogmotorsports
                        Watch the shipping $10-15.
                        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                        X