Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two part question about fuel line routing

Ok,
    So while tracing the fuel line I noticed that it runns parallel with a line that goes to some sort of vaper recovery tank on the passenger fender labled on one side with ->Tank, and ->Carb.

So first question, I am assuming I no longer need this tank or line, but I would need to be pluged at the back since it goes to another vaper capture setup that hides inside the driverside pannel at the back.

If I do remove this tank, would I be able to use this line, in my case yellow as a return for the TBI? or should I just run a new hard line while I am down there? Guessing I already know the answer though.

Thanks
    Mark

I wanted to do the same thing but was told to run a new 5/16 line for the return. The old line is 1/4. Poor return capacity can screw up your system's performance.

Comment

Don't use the canister line, most likely it's brittle and will leak. I used the 5/16" stock line for the return and ran new 3/8" steel line. I used the stock 5/16" line from the tank to a filter, then 3/8" from the filter to the pump, then to the steel line. The orange lines are for the On Board Air system.

Comment

Here is the forward filter, fairly easy to get to

The tee into the 1/2" vent line for the return

Comment

Thanks for the pic's

Those picks help, I figured I would do the exact same thing on the return line by taping into the 1/2 in. vent. I was installing the filter and new pump I just got tonight and couldn't come up with positions that I liked. Right now I have the pump high on the inside of the passanger side frame rail. about 4" in front of where the brake line taps in. The filter I am using is the heavy duty FRAM racing one that goes to like 200psi. The casing on it seems extreamly stout. Where I have the filter right now is on the outside of the same frame rail back about 4" back from the axle. My only real concern is that if something got snagged up in the wheel that it MAY, wrap up and smack the filter case, and possibly snag a line.

Now that I am thinking about it I am going to move the filter. Thinking about the frame brace that runs across the frame rails in front of the fuel tank. basically above the pumpkin.

Cant wait to get this figured out so I can run the hard lines. I bought a roll of 3/8th's line so I will run the feed and return with that.

Let me know what you think, just tossing ideas out here, thanks for reading.

Mark

Comment

Made good progress in the last 3 days

Ok, I get that the old pvc feed and return lines may be brittle to use, and if the return is 1/4 than it would be too small to use for a TBI return. The only thing I dont get is 1) when I look at the lines running along together they look exactly the same size. 2) Why would the return be too brittle to use but the fuel feed not be to brittle to use? Arn't they made of the same material, just different colors? Please correct me on any of this.

As far as the progress I've been able to make:

1) original distributor has been converted to the ford EFI style. Only problem I had was that the relucter thing on the outer shaft of the Scout Dizzy, was not a seperate piece to be slid off. Had to grind the hole thing down.

2) Installed bracket I fabbed up to hold the pump and Fram filter housing.

3) Ran hard line from pump to engine compartment.

4) Spliced into the 1/2" vent line for return.

5) Ran the line from the Tank too the filter.

So all I need now is the get the TBI installed and finish the supply to the TBI, and figure out what I want to do for the return.

Thanks for all your help, I will try and get some pics

Mark

Comment

Re: Made good progress in the last 3 days

Originally posted by moosebrew
              Ok, I get that the old pvc feed and return lines may be brittle to use, and if the return is 1/4 than it would be too small to use for a TBI return. The only thing I dont get is 1) when I look at the lines running along together they look exactly the same size. 2) Why would the return be too brittle to use but the fuel feed not be to brittle to use? Arn't they made of the same material, just different colors? Please correct me on any of this.
              On my Scout, feed line is black, canister is white/beigh.

I can't answer the question as to why, but my feed line was fine with the reroute, the canister line was not, cracked in a couple places. This may have to do with the feed line always having fuel in it, can't say if they are the same material.

Comment

Glad to see your progress.

To answer your question, my belief is all the old lines are not sufficient or safe to use but what some are doing is using the old fuel feed line as the return (very low pressure) and a new line for the pump side (very high pressure).

Mine only had the fuel feed and it is a 5/16
                It was removed and new feed and return lines were run.
                I'm not sure what the vented canister line size is?

I'm not sure how that tee will work either? That 1/2 line runs from the tank to the liquid vapor seperator hidden in the quarter panel or is it the vent in the filler vent tube?. Will it flow both ways? Fill the seperator and restrict return fuel? I'm just not sure?

Mine has the seperator but not the canister. Look at the picture below and see what you think?
                Next question is the seperator even neccessery?
                Attached Files
                [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Also the canister picture from the manual.
                  Attached Files
                  [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                  [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I used the original feed Black 5/16 line for the return.
                    For the "T" I used the tank fill vent not the vapor seperator on one of mine.

For feed I used copper 3/8. Not the best choice but I liked it better than rubber all the way to the front.
                    Put a small double flare on each end to prevent the hose from coming loose.

If you use the fill vent be aware that it may be slower when pumping gas into the tank.
                    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X