Gm ECM mounting/securing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gm ECM mounting/securing ?

I figured this weekend that the place to start on my conversion was to mount the ECM. I know in the donor vehicle there were some white push nut thingys that secured it, but they are not an option for me. Can I fab up a bracket and remove the aluminum casing for the back and attach it to my bracket then reinstall the board and front half of casing?

I found a 1 inch hole in the firewall I think I can use to pass the wiring through without having to drill a non factory hole in my 800. May end up being to tight with a grommet installed, but wont feel as bad about inlarging a factory hole that drilling a new one.

This is progress ..............................correct?

Everybody better hurry and finish theres because I am coming on strong............................................ ..NOT!!!!!

Wish me luck.
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

I don't think you will get the connector thru the 1 in hole.

I did not mount mine at all. It just sets in the glove box.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Bill Ye of little faith. No seriously I have removed the firewall connector all together as my harness is from a later model vehicle and it has a oblong hard plastic firewall connector that requires an oblong hole to use it. Wish I had someone hosting my pics so I could show yall my connector. Yours has the large rubber grommet correct? I plan on shorting my harness and puting all the splices inside the cab (behind dash) of my scout. So the ecm connectors will be inside already and the wires from engine side will be run through the small hole and then rejoined back together. Or that is my plan anyway.

Will double stick tape hold the ecm to the firewall? Or do yall think it needs some air space (brkt made up ) so it doesn't absorb engine heat from the firewall.

All these questions and I have only started.....................oh my!!
      My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"
      LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:

Comment

I read the instructions from Affordable Fuel Injection and they state to drill a 1 3/8 hole and feed the wires from the inside. This way the fuel pump relay stays inside. It will not fit through the 1 3/8 hole.

I was not concerned with another hole and went 2 inch for convenience and I had a grommet that size.

All the factory ECM mounts I have seen have air space, cooler is better for the ECM. I wouldn't trust two sided tape or mount it directly to the firewall with out good circulation. There is no insulation in a Scout 80 800 is there? Mine will also be in the glove box vented which is behind the insulated firewall.

You can upload picture right here by using the browse button like I did below.
        If you need help let me now off board.

[email protected]
        Attached Files
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I have used both type of harnesses. round and rectangle. I wasn't going to suggest the cutting of the whole harness even though I do mine like that. Some people get squemish with that many wires.
          I suggest staggering the slices a little so they are not all in the same place for bundle size and will help to identify wires with the same color but different signals. ie gray, orange. also use the environmental splices or heat shrink on the splices.

Keep the press on.

Did ya find me a motor yet???
          Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
          HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

I removed my firewall connector from my harness with great difficulty as all the wires were hot glued to it on the inside.

As for the shortening of the harness (cutting it up) I felt a little uneasy at first, but if you have the ecm wiring schematic it makes you feel a lot better about it. Also there was a lot of uneeded wiring that will not come out of the harness unless you cut it in a few places anyway. I can not say the last time I crimped two wires together. I silver solder everyyyyyyyyyyyyything and I also use the weather guard shrink tubing. I am going to stagger out my splices like you mentioned also. Since most if not all the splices will be behind dash, I am hoping that the engine compartment wiring can be made to look decent. Like they say "out of sight is out of mind", maybe.

Like everything the more times you do something the more you learn.

Have a 72 chevy that I want to convert when I finish my scout. Someday!!

Thanks everyone!!
            My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

Working...
            X