Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flaring tool for GM filter fittings, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaring tool for GM filter fittings, etc.

I'd like to put my TBI together with a GM factory look. However, I need to make some new hard fuel lines. Is there an aftermarket tool to make the "right angle flare" that GM uses?

Not sure which one you are referring to but the one at the TB uses an O-ring.
    Another alternative is some of the GM vehicles used SS flex lines to the TB from the factory. I can not tell you which ones but I do have one system with them.
    I think Mark also found the Holley barb fitting number to use rubber hose.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

www.mastercool.com has what you seek. I've got the hydralic one and it's great, allways a perfect flare.

Comment

Thanks guys. It looks like you set me on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by NOT76
          www.mastercool.com has what you seek. I've got the hydralic one and it's great, allways a perfect flare.
          How much was the hydro flare?

Comment

I paid $350. on the Matco truck for the complete one. I did see it on www.thetoolwarehouse.net for $300.

Comment

Thats only $175 per flare for a factory look!!!!

I think I'll stick to the bone yard.
              Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
              Learn to do it right.

Comment

Don't know exactly where my head was when I described the "flare". It's really that GM formed ring for o-ring.

Factory look is nice, but for that money I think I can get by with something a little less elegant. Thanks for the information anyhow.

Comment

TBI Fuel Lines

Check at your local parts house, most offer premade steel repair ends for your filter lines with the "o-ring" fittings. IIRC they come in 12" & 18" lengths.
                  HTH,
                  Steve Veatch
                  Steve

'74 SII Arizona Truck
                  '76 SII Terra Top under restoration
                  '80 SII Waiting for restoration : beer :

Comment

Steve, thanks for the direction--but it didn't pan out. Checked NAPA, Auto Zone and the largest wholesale car parts supplier in Southwest Washington and none of them have even seen replacement hardline or fittings. The local hydraulic shop and the local brake shop come up blank. The Chevy dealer doesn't have any.

If you know of a specific source please let me know.

Thanks,

Graeme

Comment

What's wrong with the junk yard?
                      You can find the hard lines or the stainless factory flex lines.
                      Cut them as far back as you want and stick them in.
                      $5-10 at a junk yard is better than spending all your time searching for a replacement.

My .02
                      Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                      Learn to do it right.

Comment

Fuel Line Repair Kit

Graeme,
                        I called the local Auto Zone & the part #800153 is for the 3/8" line. Price is $12.99. Just tell them you want a fuel filter line repair kit for a 1980 & up Chevy truck, that should get 'em looking in the right direction. They had these behind the counter so you have to ask for them.
                        HTH,
                        Steve Veatch
                        Steve

'74 SII Arizona Truck

Comment

Steve, thanks! Went back to the same Auto Zone with the part number you supplied. What do you know! They had it all along. I'd even called it by the right name.

This is a new store and maybe the counter folks are relatively new. I'm still puzzled by NAPA and the wholesale house. I'll stop by each tomorrow.

Bill USN-1, nothing's wrong with the wrecking yard. In fact, that's where I find most of my parts. I've just been trying to find a non-wrecking-yard source for this stuff. There are times when cobbling something together from the yard just doesn't work as well.

Graeme

Comment

This Looks Like A Good Place To Open A Parts Store!

Graeme,
                            Yeah, sometimes it's the luck (or lack of!) who waits on you at the parts house. I went to Advance Auto today since it's closer than NAPA for a compression ring for the 1/8" plastic line to my mechanical oil pressure gauge. After explaining what it is/does to the "help" he takes me to the hose clamp section! About then I realized he spoke about 5 words of english & none of them were compression ring! After a few minutes of him asking the other "help" & getting dumb looks from them all I said "thanks anyway, NAPA's just down the road!" If they knew it all they sure wouldn't be there now, would they?;)
                            Steve Veatch
                            Steve

'74 SII Arizona Truck

Comment

Working...
                            X