You may have a scanner in/on your pocket/hip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You may have a scanner in/on your pocket/hip

or so the article says in the june 2003 issue of Popular Science. The article talks about using your cell phone for more than just cominicating with another person but also another computer like your cars ecm. How cool would that be to be able to hook up your cell phone to your scout instead of hauling around a laptop.

Says there is some hacking/coding/java something or other to make it happen but its possible. Really interesting to me, but over my head.

Lists some web sites at end of article for more info.

Maybe some of the computer guys here can figure it out and give us computer illiterate types the lowdown.
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

I've seen so much technology in my lifetime that talking on a cell phone is plenty. But I am wondering if we got it hooked up what the Scout would say?

But really does a cell phone have enough capability to run a program like WINALDL ?

It's like video games. My kid upgraded to a Playstation 2 do to cost of buying more games, his Playstation one games will work in the 2 But if you compare the Playstation 2 to the X Box it is a toy.
    From my ever fading memory I think the X Box was 700 mhz with a 30gig hard drive and 128 ram, the Playstation 2 did not compare.
    My kid's happy all winter playing it so all is well!
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

If I read the article right (being computer illiterate) that the newer cell phones are a very high powered mini computer that just needs a little hacking to be able to use their full capacity.

I think Bill is running Winaldl on a very old laptop (around 75 mhz) if memory serves me. Surely my poor little phone is faster than that.

This whole thing is way of of my playing field, but at one time I also thought fuel injection was too.

The toys our kids have now days. Remember the first computer/tv game panel I owned had Break Out on it and two other games and we played it for days and were happy as pigs in a mud hole.

We will see what tommarow brings!!!
      My "Disasterpiece"
      1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
      The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
      FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
      LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
      NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Working...
      X