No announcement yet.

maiden voyage, engine started ticking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maiden voyage, engine started ticking?

Hey guys, took the Scout out today for the maiden voyage. Drove it about 30 miles to the muffler shop for a new exhaust system and while I was going the engine started to tick. Any ideas if these engines are prone to this because the valves need to be adjusted? Or maybe because the ECM is trying to advance it to far becuase I have not installed the knock sensor yet?

Any ideas would be appreciated, and yes I checked the oil.

Thanks
    Mark

You have to do better than that!!!
    A tick can be anything.

when do you get it...all the time, only on acceleration, only at an idle after it is warm,

What kind of tick? Heavy/deep sound, metalic, or a rattling pre-ignition ping?

If you don't have the knock sensor, I believe the computer will view it as a ping and will try to retard the timing.
    I take it the O2 sensor wasn't in yet either?

You are probably operating in limp home mode which should be a flat 20* advance at 2000 rpm IIRC.

Finish that thing so you know what is really wrong with it!!!!

If it is an oiling problem it needs checked out right away.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

tick

Bill,
      I realized i was a bit vage after I posted and did a search on engine ticking, man there are a lot of things that can cause it. The ticking started while I was going down the freeway for probably 10 min. and around 55mph. After it started it persisted after I got off the freeway from anything from idle back up to 50mph. Its not a horible metal thrashing sound but seems like what you would call a lifter tick. Like you said though I am waiting until it gets done at the exhaust where I will be able to get the knock and O2 sensor in and see what that does. I am hoping I am not going to have to rebuild this dange thing right after I finally got it runing, lol.

Thanks
      Mark

Comment

Working...
      X