...and more questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...and more questions...

Well, I have a functioning tbi setup, but I'm still having issues with it. I'm wondering if burning a chip might help all of this.

Problem: Engine fires up, seems to idle great, but stumbles off idle and bogs until over about 1250rpm.

Theory 1: My first thought was a vacuum leak. I've checked and checked for vacuum leaks but can't seem to find any.

Theory 2: I thought maybe it needed some base timing due to having the chevy truck chip in the computer. I set the baseline timing at 5*, 6*, 8*, 9*, and even 11* of baseline, none of which seemed to make any sort of improvement.

Theory 3: It also keeps flashing the Rich flag in WinALDL, so I'm thinking it's just loading up at idle, and has to clear out on its way up. So I'm thinking maybe the 350 injectors (55lb/hr) are a little big for the motor? Either that, or maybe the chip is making it dump too much fuel at idle? Or maybe the tbi regulator isn't functioning properly? I'm running a GM TBI pump in the tank with 3/8 supply line and 5/16 return, so I don't think it's a problem there since that is basically a stock GM fuel system now.

WinALDL isn't really showing anything that odd I don't think. Like I said, it flashes the rich flag periodically. It also flashes the low voltage flag every once in awhile. I'm thinking my alternator might need some work. It also flashes a "DRP occured" flag about every 5 seconds or so.....I have no idea what that is, it might be my problem. By the way, it does go into closed loop and stays there. So, at this point I need help....somebody, please shed some light on this for me before I shoot it like Old Yeller. :(
    Last edited by fredo74; 07-15-2003, 02:50 AM.

Temp sensor?

Hey, glad to hear your up and running for the most part. Are you running a temp sensor on the TBI? if not that could be a reason for the rich running. It seems that when the plug for the temp sensor is left open it causes the ECM to think it is -41* thus causing a rich running situation. Just an idea.

Also, when I was setting up my TBI it also ran fine at idle but as soon as you would rev it a bit it would bog, stumble, backfire through the TBI and it all was because the timing was not set up right. I ended up switching the pickup wires on my Ford Duraspark output and this allowed me to get it in the right adjustment. If I didn't switcht the wires I hear I would of had to rotate the dizzy something like 30*.

Hope any of this helps
    mark

Comment

Well, I had that thought about the Duraspark too. I'm going to recheck all of that this afternoon now. As for the temp sensor, it's hooked up and when warm and in closed loop it's reading 176*, so I assume it's working.

Comment

I'll be in the garage all night getting ready for RMIHR.
        So bring it by.
        I'm right up the road in lewisville!
        972-317-6919
        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Well, I still need to hookup the tranny kickdown and clean up the harness some. I'll give you a call if I end up getting that stuff done this afternoon.

By the way, what is RMIHR?

Comment

rocky mounntain IH rendezvous in Salida, CO 18-23 JUL
            Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
            HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe next year!

Have fun!!!!!!!!
              My "Disasterpiece"
              1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
              The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
              FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
              LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
              NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Working...
              X