Distributor to use with Holley Pro-Jection on 304

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor to use with Holley Pro-Jection on 304

I have a 78 Scout II that I am putting the finishing touches on after a frame-off restoration. I rebuilt the 304 engine and installed Holley Pro-Jection. The original equipment distributer is a Pertronix solid state. The bushings are worn beyond limits, resulting in dwell & timing problems. My question is what is the best course of action to fix my problem considering the addition of the FI? Otherwise I would just rebuild the original distributor?

With the Holley system there is no need to change the distr.
    If you can get the parts, than just rebuild yours or you might be able to still get a rebuilt one from napa or AZ.
    If it is a 78 than I think it came with the gold box Holley dist.
    So if you do have a pertronix in it then someone already changed it or found a way to put it in the holley dist.
    I don't think the prestolite distr came out till 79?

Can anyone confirm.

I know they make a pertronix for the point dist and the prestolite but have never heard of one for the holley.

You may want to post a picture.

HTH
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

There's a lot of choices for IH distributors and any of them will work with the Holley Pro Jection because it has no way to include spark control into the system. That's one of the reasons most of us use the GM retrofit systems is because of fuel and spark control.
      So you can use anything that would work with a carburetor.
      If you have a Pertronics that is an aftermarket brand and has had a lot of happy users. Also if it is a stock Prestolite distributor that was probably the best distributor that ever came on an IH.
      Best distributor (my opinion) for a Holley fuel injection or carburetor would be a HEI distributor that D and C sells.

D and C Extreme

[CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I have a Holley ProJection 4 Di and it does have spark management intended to connect to a GM system. I still need to build a distributor to use this feature or find a spark control unit that I can connect to the Holley ECU.

Comment

What are the requirements of the holley system.
          Can you scan the page and post it?
          Do you just need a magnetic pick-up?
          What do you have now?
          Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
          HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
          X