Is it possible to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to....

Is it possible to use the Holley TB with this FI system. I have come across the TB from the Holley system, but nothing else of the Holley system. Can the wiring harness,computer, input sensors, and fuel pump be used with the Holley TB?

Would it benefit me to use the modified distributor also?

Thanks,

ROS

In a word...yes.

Now, One of the down falls of the holley is the injectors. So if you are starting with a complete GM system then you are better off taking the inj pod of the GM TB and mounting on the holley TB.
    A big question is ...does the TB have the IAC port? If it an older TB than it won't be drilled and tapped for the IAC and will require machining to make it 100% compatable.
    AFI sells the correct TB if you want the 2 in bores.

When you ask about the modified dist, I assume now that you do not have a running system yet?

If you want to try and run the system without any timing control than see the post from AFI on alternative to dist.

You have a couple of choices on usable dist if you are looking for full control of your fuel and spark management.
    Both are fully discussed in this forum.

You never said your intentions or what you have now!
    Do you need the holley TB or just looking for bigger than stock?

HTH
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Thanks Bill, the information about the Holley TB is what I needed to find out, it is an older TB, not setup for the IAC valve.

I want to put the FI on a "warmed" up IH 392+ engine. It is .060 overbore and .040 offset ground on the crank which should be about 406 ci. It has had a lot of cylinder head porting, milled .020 on the heads, block has been decked .040. It will be setup with an Isky 270 cam, Stans headers, and I am investigating the potential of FI for this engine. The 2" bore of the Holley sounds interesting, but the Holley electronics don't seem to be very reliable. I don't have the ignition system yet, so that is why I asked if the modified distributor would be the best way to go.

I will be using this engine in a 1210 IH 4X4 pickup for towing my camper and my offroad Scout.

Thanks for the info.

ROS

Comment

Sounds like a nice setup.
        I would definately go 2in TB.
        Now I have a question.
        With the .040 offset ground crank, what rod/piston combo are you using?
        How far can the IH block be bored?
        I assume you are planning to stay under about 9.5:1 CR for reg unleaded.
        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

>Sounds like a nice setup.

Thank you Bill.

>I would definately go 2in TB.

That's what I was thinking also... I would think that AFI offers the 2" TB in their "RV" line of FI systems?

>With the .040 offset ground crank, what rod/piston combo are you using?

I am using the IH connecting rods, freshly resized and flash ground on the beams for faster oil return to the oil pan. H996CP Federal Mogul pistons that are .060 overbore.

>How far can the IH block be bored?

I had the block cylinder bores sonic tested to see how much metal was left, the machine shop said I could have "this" block overbored .125 with no worries. But not all blocks are cast the same, that was the "but" the machine shop gave me also.

>I assume you are planning to stay under about 9.5:1 CR for reg unleaded.

According to the machine shop I should be fine with pump gas, their calculations predict 9.25 cr.

Thanks,

ROS

Comment

That's interesting info.....
            I have visions of a BB cubic inch stump puller in my future!!!!!!

With the offset ground crank, where are you at on deck height.
            Are you running the flat top pistons with the smaller chamber, emission heads?

I can see you are going to cost me money!!!!

Thanks,
            Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

Bill,

>I have visions of a BB cubic inch stump puller in my future!!!!!!

BB cubic inch? I don't follow... The SV engine is a "small block" in the eyes of IH. ;)

>With the offset ground crank, where are you at on deck height.

I am at .010 below the deck with .040 off the deck also

>Are you running the flat top pistons with the smaller chamber, emission heads?

Pistons are the H996CP hypereutectic pistons with the small dish and the coated skirt.

The heads are the 434514 improved cooling heads that came with the engine. Not much of the porting work was done anywhere but the exhaust ports. A little cleaning on the intake ports, a little in the combustion chamber, but a lot of work in the exhaust ports.

> I can see you are going to cost me money!!!!

Me, Cost you money, why?:)

Thank you,

ROS

Comment

Originally posted by ROS
                Bill,

>I have visions of a BB cubic inch stump puller in my future!!!!!!
                >BB cubic inch? I don't follow... The SV engine is a "small block" >in the eyes of IH. ;)

Exactly...Big cubes from a small...well acording to IH small engine.
                Time to start looking at other options like BBC rods and pistons or BB ford 460 rods and pistons combined with the offset ground crank.....I think DaveSR over on BB is playing with 500ci ideas right now for his puller.

>With the offset ground crank, where are you at on deck height.
                >I am at .010 below the deck with .040 off the deck also
                >Are you running the flat top pistons with the smaller chamber, emission heads?
                >Pistons are the H996CP hypereutectic pistons with the small dish and the coated skirt.
                >The heads are the 434514 improved cooling heads that came with the engine. Not much of the porting work was done anywhere but the exhaust ports. A little cleaning on the intake ports, a little in the combustion chamber, but a lot of work in the exhaust ports.

Being IC heads, I take it the 345 heads are out of the question.
                Never messed with IC motors.

> I can see you are going to cost me money!!!!

>Me, Cost you money, why?:)

no replacement for displacement!!!!!!

Thank you,

ROS
                Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                Learn to do it right.

Comment

Bill,

I am getting the idea you want a whole lot more 'grunt' for some reason. I would like to find one of the old Caddy 500 cars complete with the fuel injection just to see how well it performed, and dissassemble and see what that early system was like. I haven't heard of many people that had much experience with them. If GM had it together back in the mid '70s why has it taken so long to make it the standard of fuel management now? I know, the oil companies. But I am off topic. More cubic inches require more fuel and more air, are the current FI systems able to produce the needed performance you are looking for? Is there a 4bbl system maybe in the near future other than the Holley system? Maybe someone could start making aluminum intake manifolds for SV engines too. Here I go dreaming again...

ROS

Comment

I saw 2 guys running the 472/500 at RMIHR. but niether were the FI.
                    I haven't done a lot of research but from what I have heard the system is not that common in the yards. Probably need to find a little old lady car!!!!
                    I have heard of a guy machining the bumps on the intake runners for a MPI system. Just need to make up a fuel rail once the injectors are installed.
                    With all the ECM hacking out there, there is no reason you couldn't make a system work!!
                    You wouldn't even need a special TB for the MPI.
                    I've seen the GM 454/502 MPI TB mounted right on top of a manifold just like a regular TB. All it does is pass air and send signals!!!

My problem is my job gets in the way of my dreams!!

Keep in mind that the TBI 2 barrel injection was used on the 454.
                    I'm getting ready to put one on my motorhome. (someday) Got all the parts just no time.

Could use the holley 4 barrel TBI with the GM system.
                    Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X