One more ? for those with GM harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more ? for those with GM harness

This one is not important, but thought I would ask and see yall could cure my curiosity. Why is every other wire in the gm harness typical automotive style wire and the injector signal wires have stiff jacket and or stiffer wire/core. Have not cut into one so is the core/wire solid or just a stiff outer jacket. Anyone know why? Just curious!!!

Mark was your injector wires on your AFI harness made of a different wire/jacket than the rest of the harness?

Thanks for the replys to my other post. I am almost certain I have 350 injectors!!!!

Thanks all.
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Your post must have slipped by me Binderman sorry! Along with you aluminum that has been in a pile on my bench covered for who knows how long! Anyway it's boxed and we'll get it shipped today or tomorrow.

My back is a little tweaked right now so I don't think I'll be under the hood to look but if you tell me what color or position at the computer I'll look for you on the wires.

There's a good injector ID page at:
    http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/compone...injectors.html
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Don't worry about overlooking the post as the ? was no big deal, just wondering what the different wiring was about.

The wires to your injectors are made up of what, regular automotive wire or does it have a stiff outer jacket?

After many days to think about the question, I feel the reason for the different wiring to the injectors is related to fuel/vapors breaking down the jacket. I may be out in left field with my assumption.

No rush on the alum as I won't need it for some time with the holidays coming up and my growing number of "honeys do's".

Need to decide if I want to take my rig to RMIHR this year or not. If so I need to start spinning wrenches now to have it ready. Have seen some video and pics from some of the trails up there and have decided I need to do a spring over, but that means installing the 1 ton axles and all that mess. Does the madness ever end?

Thanks again!!!!
      My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"
      LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:

Comment

I believe(don't listen to me) that the injector wires are shielded against electromagnetic interference. They are a coax? maybe? It is intended to stop unintentional firing of the injectors.

I'm about 40% sure I'm right!

Comment

That was my #2 thought also. Thats why I am wondering what the AFI kit has for injector signal wires.

Its amazing how just the little things get in your head and stay there till the answer is found. Or am I the only one that has this problem? Determination or hard headed?
          My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

Well,
            I can say they are not coax.
            I shorten them on all of my harnesses.

The fuel vapor could be a viable guess.
            The wire conductor itself seems to be a little better quality.

So we still don't know why.

=(
            Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
            HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

Brendan is correct

Brendan is correct, the wire is made the way it is for electromagnetic interference. Understand that production systems need to be built to take every possilbe issue that could ever arise into consideration. Some of the older units I believe used a little more over kill on the wire and eventually went a little less expensive. The wire also is used so that what is emitted from them is not messing up radios and other things in the vehicle. It is a two way street.

The TPI systems actually used a twisted pair wires of which we have looked at possibly incorporating also. This is done for the same reason, interference from other sensors and not emitting into other circuits etc.

We use the same wire for all of the leads on our harness. The only thing that we may change like I said before is to a twisted pair. Of the hundreds that we have made I have never ever had an issue. The other companies like Howell, Painless and Turbo City all do the same as we do with thier harnesses.

We use the best quality TXL high temp thin wall wire for our harnesses. Some of the other companies do not use the same quality wire that we do. We also use a little overkill for the guage where as the automotive companies and some of the other aftermarket companies think about nothing but pennies. Pennies for us are nothing but then we are not building millions of them a year. So by using the best grade wire and larger gauge than we may have to we do not run into the issues. Also we are not building units like the auto companies where they have other wires integrated into their harnesses for other circuits. We do not need to worry about this, our harnesses control the fuel injection system only.

Comment

Thanks all for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess as long as it works why question it? I am one of those that thinks "it works" is not enough, I need to know how/why.

Thanks again!!
                My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

Working...
                X