Adapter plate ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapter plate ?

First off I know squat about aluminum, other than it is fairly easy to work/machine and that I can't weld it without making a mess. Will 6061 plate work for the TBI adapter plate? Someone recommended Billet, but I have yet to find any. The cast plate sells for less, but i figure it is not any good for this application.

Secondly I figure I need a 6x5 inch piece? How big was everyone elses? Rough measurement?

There is about 1 1/2 difference in air cleaner flange height from the TBI to the carb so I thought I would go with 3/4 or 1 inch plate. Any yes or no's.

What is the options for air cleaners, will my choice in adapter plate thickness come back and kick me in the butt when I go to look for an a/c assy?

I found aluminum pieces on e-bay (dah) for sale and thought I would go that route as to bumming a piece from someone. Thanks for the offers guys!!!!

Sorry for all the questions.

Maybe I can document my adapter build and help out with that part on the info page? Bill your probly on top of this already, but thought I would offer anyway.
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Did I forget to tell you I got you a piece?
    Wondered why it's still here on the bench...

6 1/4x5 1/2 inch thick $10 from CDA metals plus shipping if you want it.

I used a air cleaner off a pickup truck. But when I dropped the body lift it would not clear. So now I have one off a 93 Chevy Caprice 9C1 cop car. I think they are the same on civilian caprice as well. Much lower and the cold air snorkel looks like it will be perfect going out just over the heater into the cowl area. The hot air intake will also run down to the exhaust manifold for winter. Here in Idaho that is an issue.
    Attached Files
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Check or money order? Figure the shipping and consider it sold!!!

Did ya sell your truck? Don't see it listed anymore or I just missed it.

Thanks!!!!!
      My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"
      LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:

Comment

My wifes Scout sold to a friend of our Off Road Coordinator so we got another member too.

I will PM you on the plate.
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Here's a link to the plans someone made (I wish I knew who to give credit for these).
          Only difference is the GM TBI off the 305 and 350 Chevy motors is smaller bores than the Holley.

http://www.justinternationals.org/fu...dapt-plate.doc

Comment

Thank you very much for the link to the adapter plate blueprint. I will check with my buddy and see what his machine shop will charge for them to be made.

ROS

Comment

Remember that this is for a two inch throttle body!
              Most of us use the less expensive more pletyful 1 11/16 TBI

It soesn't sound like that big a deal but when you start to machine it changes from a two angle design to a three angle design and is much harder.

Unless you do it yourself, have a machine shop or a freind that owes you favors in a machine shop I don't think it would be cost effective to re-invent the wheel.
              Affordable Fuel Injection has them for about $60.

http://www.affordable-efi.com/

Comment

Summit
                HLY-17-47 TBI Adaptor (2300 2 BBL Flange To TBI Flange) $79.95

They also have the 4 barrel version for $39
                Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
                HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
                Learn to do it right.

Comment

"They also have the 4 barrel version for $39"

Thats typical!! More material and nearly half the price of the 2 barrel. Guess total sells of each reflect the cost. Crazy world!!
                  My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

4 hole cheeper

I believe it is cheeper because they wouldnt have to taper the hole, just drill straight through.

Comment

Just a caution on that blueprint

Hey just wanted to caution you on that blueprint, its not real clear on the labeling but the three holes that the TBI bolts too have to be drilled with an "F" drill I believe so they can be tapped to 5/16, the outside holes are drilled 5/16. This confusion almost cost me another round at the fabbers. The machine shop I had mine cut out at couldn't make the tapperd slope in any way except to do it by hand and that gets spendy. So I had them cut the smaller hole and I boared it out myself. Overall for the laber and work, honestly $60.00 from AFF isnt a bad price at all.

Just my thoughts
                      Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X