Air Filter Options for EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter Options for EFI

This is my second stock GM air cleaner system. The first was a direct replacement from a Chevy truck with the throttle body fuel injection and it worked well, would cold air snorkel to the wheel well, was cheap and would work with a two inch body lift and new mounts. But recently I removed the body lift back to stock height not leaving enough room.

The second pictured here is from a 1993 Chevy Caprice 9C1 police car. I got the idea because we have one. That and I went to the junk yard and they have one there too. I think the all Chevy Caprice from 90 - 93 with V8 are the same but the 94 up are tuned port injection so they won't work.

It works well. I cut out a small piece of the bulkhead and the snorkel nows gets cool air from under the cowl. When I find time I'll do a little write up but it was fairly simple. Oh yeah it fits under the hood nicely. The only body lift left is the new urethane mounts which are supposed to get you back to stock but I think they end up with a small lift.

[CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Mark: Will the rain affect this set up?

Al

Comment

Just curious

Mark,

You've mentioned in a couple of your recent posts that you removed your body lift. Just curious as to why you took it out.

Also, where you cut in the snorkel, is that area open directly to the cowl vents in front of the windshield? Did you run into any double-walled areas?

Comment

Mark: Will the rain affect this set up?
        I don't think so Al, a freind ran a snorkel out in the same area closer to the center where it would have more of a chance and he had no problems.
        Over in this corner it's well covered and had plenty of room under for any drainage that gets in there.

Sandracer, just to high for me and the wife so I got it down two inches. Don't think I'll get any more rubbing of tires but if I do I will just increase the bump stops.

No double walls in that area of the fire wall. This picture is with the top plate (where the windshield washer tubes are mounted) removed. I cut the hole the right size and added some vacuum tubing (sliced down the middle) for seal and insulation from the sharp edges. When I put the top plate on it was a snug fit.
        Also the hot air riser valve is tied open here, but with this air filter t's lined up nice to run the heat riser tube to the exhaust manifold for winter.

[CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Air Filter Options for EFI

Originally posted by Eagle-Mark

The second pictured here is from a 1993 Chevy Caprice 9C1 police car. I got the idea because we have one. That and I went to the junk yard and they have one there too. I think the all Chevy Caprice from 90 - 93 with V8 are the same but the 94 up are tuned port injection so they won't work.

[/IMG]
          Does the police car have the TBI with the higher flow injectors in it? If so, I could really use it...

Comment

They were gone long ago...

Comment

Ben,

You can run the 5.7 injectors and just make the pressure regulator adjustable. Then turn up the pressure a little and retune your chip!!
              I'm curious why you think you need the cop car injectors?
              Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
              HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
              May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
              Learn to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill usn-1
                Ben,

You can run the 5.7 injectors and just make the pressure regulator adjustable. Then turn up the pressure a little and retune your chip!!
                I'm curious why you think you need the cop car injectors?
                Big motor, I'm working on inj. for my Cad 472 and my buddies healthy AMC 401. I was thinking the cop car injectors would work on the 401 so he doesn't have to spring for the 454 TBI. I'll look into the adjustable regulator, thanks.

Comment

The cop car injectors are just as popular as the Big Block Chevy two inch throttle body with the bigger injectors. Just as hard to find and with the healthier price tag then the 5.7L injectors.

Let us know how those projects turn out?

Comment

Thanks guys. So far the projects aren't getting off the ground. I'm having a hard time finding the parts in the junkyards here. I'm thinking a trip to the Seattle area or Spokane might be required to get everything. We'll probably try the standard 5.7 TBI & injectors on the 401 first and if its not enough get the cop car injectors or go with the 454 parts. I'm definately going to have to use the 454 TBI on my 472, right?

Comment

I would run the 7.4 or the holley 2 in with the GM inj pod installed. Basically the same thing. for the 472.

AFI sells just the 2in TB bare so if you find a 5.7 you can put the inj's on the 2 in TB and up the pressure. It should be all you need for any 401...unless we are talking turbo or blower!!! But I would start with the stock 5.7.

flow
                      5.7= 55
                      5.7cop= 65
                      7.4= 90lb/hr
                      Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                      Learn to do it right.

Comment

will this air cleaner work on the factory 2bbl holly also?

did the complete air cleaner assembly come off the same car?

Comment

Should! Same TBI except some holleys are bigger bore the body is just about identical.

The square tube I found in a 1993 Chevy Caprice wagon. The air filter is the same on all Caprice 91 to 93 I think. But the tube may have been from another car but was laying in the wagon. So I'm not sure what ohters have found.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow face
                            will this air cleaner work on the factory 2bbl holly also?

did the complete air cleaner assembly come off the same car?
                            Are you asking about a holley carb?

You will have to drill a new hole in the top since the TBI uses 2 studs.

The TBI opening is the same as a 4 barrel so if you have the 500 holley it should fit.
                            If you have the scout 2210 then no.
                            Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                            Learn to do it right.

Comment

factory 2bbl holly
                              Yeah he did say that didn't he. Disregard my last post. It was meant for a Holley two barrel TBI. Not carburator. It's easy to make it a single post mount though.

Comment

Working...
                              X