Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What TBI would work best with a 196? What # or size injector should I be looking for? I am going to make my own manifold so any kind of TBI will work. Thanks, David O.:)

Awhile back this conversation started and Norm at AFI suggested using a one barrel version of the same TBI we use for the V8.
    Heres a picture but I don't have any donor list for it. These come up on e-Bay occasionally but never sell for much more than $20
    Attached Files
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks, I'll be looking for one.

Comment

There's one on e-bay now!
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33558
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Anyone know what vehicle/engine to look for the TB mentioned?
          Thought I might keep my eyes open for one while scrounging around.

A injected 196 in a 80/800 would be sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it works out for ya David! Keep us posted.
          My "Disasterpiece"
          1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
          The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
          FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
          LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
          NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

The best one would probably be the fiero. I think it was a 2.5
            I got a couple of 90lb injectors from them for my BB conversion.

I'm doing a dist for a 152 conversion right now.
            Still gathering parts.

What I have found is the bottom of the dist is the same as the v-8.
            So I am using the holley dist and doing the same Dura-spark conversion.
            Then I will either use the 1978 2.3 mustangII reluctor or just cut every other finger off of the V-8 reluctor.

Since I don't have a 4cyl handy here, I think I will turn my 345 into a 4cyl. install the dist and the 4cyl chip and disconnect 4 plug wires.
            Kinda like the Ingersol Rand 302 ford air compressor!!!!

Any bets????
            Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
            HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

I'll bet it works!!

Have seen a Buick V6 converted to a air compressor, but have not heard of the IR/302 combination. Any more info? The little buick put out loads of air. Wish I knew more about the whole engine to air compressor conversion. When running a 1 inch impact for very long you need a LARGE compressor. Gotta love heavy equiptment repairs. Will have to post pic of our last IH dozer carnage when finished with repairs.

Wish ya luck with it!!

Check out the "Beast" yet? Not many HOURS left!!!!
              My "Disasterpiece"
              1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
              The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
              FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
              LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
              NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Went out and started it on the trailer. Shifted to fwd/rev. let it idle for about 1/2 an hour while I ate.
                Then I shut it off and called it good.
                Oh
                I did burn Josh a new chip so he can be FI for this week end!!!!
                And I got James' Travelette w/392 FI this week end. I think he will be happy.
                Had a mag pick-up go bad on me. Only affected light trottle and deceleration. Almost blew his mufflers apart when it would backfire!!!
                Woke a few nieghbors tho.
                Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                Learn to do it right.

Comment

Bill, are you selling kits or a kit that you supply some instructions with a parts list. I have a 1979 ScoutII with a 196 that is in dire need of a FI kit. If you have a completed kit I want it. Just tell me what I need to do.

Brad D. Chesley
                  Tyler, Texas

Comment

Brad I was just in your back yard!!
                    We had our round up in Gilmer this week end!

I don't sell kits. I just help people do what I have done.
                    since you have a 4cyl I can't recommend anything since I have not proven my system yet on a 4cyl. There are GM 4 cyl systems out there. they used 1227165 and 1227730 computers. you could check the junkyards for the 4 cyl S10's as a start. the conversion would be about the same. The distributor conversion is the exact same as the V-8 conversion just a different reluctor.
                    HTH
                    Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

I was at the roundup for a little while. I came in friday night but had to leave on saturday for a family outing. I was the white scout with no top or doors on 38" swampers that would back fire every time you turn it off!!! Do you have a parts list of what you have put together so far???? If I start with an S-10 what parts besides a throttle body should I get?

Comment

I remember your truck at the round-up! I was camped out in the trees.

Affordable Fuel Injection has kits in different forms available.
                        1. Wiring harness
                        2. DIY kit with harness, chip, adapter, pump, instructions, support, etc...
                        3. Full kit has what's above plus throttle body, ecm and sensors you just need fuel lines hardware that are specific for your application.

I was going to do the complete GM changeover and decided it was to time consuming with the learning curve, chip programing. Albeit very interesting.

Went with the DIY kit and just started installing it. Re-building a TBI unit is not that difficult and simple if you have ever done a carburetor. Just have to send an injector to be cleaned. Sensors can be bought cheap from a guy named ragged on e-bay ECM too!

Comment

I remember that scout. (Don't remember Mark in the woods tho )
                          wish you would have said something.
                          Was that a 4cyl ?
                          As Mark said, there are many ways to put a system together.
                          When I got my first system from a junkyard I got all I could that was connected to the motor.

TB
                          wiring harness
                          sensors- temp, knock, O2, EGR, IAT.....All of them.
                          Get the fuel line down past the first connection.
                          ECM (computer)
                          ALDL diagnostic connector under the dash
                          coil
                          oil press sw if you want it.

you don't have to use everything but if you put everything on yours that was on the donor then youshould not have any fault codes.
                          or figure out which sensors you really need to run and get rid of the rest.
                          HTH
                          Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                          Learn to do it right.

Comment

Must have been the wrong round up or just the wrong state!
                            I don't even drink anymore...

I was at the North West Binders Round-up.

Comment

Working...
                            X