Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill usn-1
    replied
    1. I need to put in my eprom from AFI, but there's a little roll cage around the chip, and it isn't readily apparent how to remove it. I don't want to wreck anything in there, so I thought it'd be smart to ask.

Well this is how I do it...
    put your thumbs on the top of it.
    put you fingertips on the bottom edges.
    as you pull the bottom edges apart, you need to apply upward pressure on the chip from underneath with the tip of one of your fingers.
    If you do it right, one side of the chip will release from the carrier.
    work the same procedure to free the other side.
    Do not force the eprom out!!
    You will know when both side are released.
    I've also removed the 2 ladder looking supports on top with a pair of needle nose before. it allows the sides to flex a little more.

The MAP and ESC are screwed to this little bracket, and on the back of said bracket there's a little electrically controlled vacuum valve. It has two vac lines that come out of the top of it, and one below. This plugs into the TBI harness somewhere, and I'm wondering what it controls.

It should be the EGR solenoid. It electrically operates to allow the vacuum to the EGR valve.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic The project is finally on.

The project is finally on.

So, now, about a year after I started looking into the TBI, I'm finally getting around to doing it. I'm sure that many more questions are to follow soon, but right now here's two.

1. I need to put in my eprom from AFI, but there's a little roll cage around the chip, and it isn't readily apparent how to remove it. I don't want to wreck anything in there, so I thought it'd be smart to ask.

2. I got my system from an 88 Chevy 4.3. The MAP and ESC are screwed to this little bracket, and on the back of said bracket there's a little electrically controlled vacuum valve. It has two vac lines that come out of the top of it, and one below. This plugs into the TBI harness somewhere, and I'm wondering what it controls.

Thanks, Brendan
Working...
X