Tuning update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning update!

Just a quick note to give an update on the FI progress.
    I started using a new device called the romulator. It allows me to tune on the fly so to speak. So now I can have the wife drive the scout down the road while I make continuous adjustments to the fuel and timing. When I get the tuning the way I like it, I just save the file and burn a chip.
    Tonight I got to do my first economy run up the highway with it. Not much just 25 miles up and back. After filling up with gas, the wife set a speed of about 60-65MPH. While she drove I started to advance the timing in the RPM range we were running. Then I adjusted the fuel to compensate.
    Well at the end of the trip we filled back up and I was pleased with the results.

50 mile round trip
    60-65 MPH
    2000-2200 RPM
    2.7 Gals
    If my math is right that’s about 18.5mpg
    Now even I’m not that optimistic to think you can avg 18.5mpg but if I can come even close to that I will be happy.
    I’m running:
    75 Scout II XLC
    345-125K+ (2nd speedometer)
    3.07 gears
    31” A/T High-Tec recaps at 35psi
    89 350 GM TBI FI

This scout set in a field for 9 yrs before I found it. It knocks every time you start it when it’s cold and the oil pressure drops to 0 when warm. But it sure does run good and gets the wife to work and home 30 miles each way. Don't know what I can do for big city traffic?

Just a little update to wet your appetite!!
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Men and there toys.

Any need for it on the Trail rig? Any way to tune at 3 or 4 miles an hour or with the front end pointed at the sky or on three wheels? Ha ha!!!!
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Your wife is so cool!

Anyway that sounds like a great way to tune. After you were done did you notice any difference in driving? Are you just changing certain areas for optimum highway speeds?

I don't think 18.5 is unrealistic highway mileage under the right circumstances. I have gotten 18 out of mine when it was stock 345 two barrel auto 3:07 gears and a tailwind in the warm summer months. Those gears and tires keeping the RPM down is a big help too! I run about 2800 at 60 with the 4:09s

Stock photo
      [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
      [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I just started tweeking for the hiway spots right now. The bottom end was working pretty good as you know.
        After I got done, I went back in the house and used the graphing function and started to smooth the entire spark curve out the same as I did on the fuel curve.

I have not been able to run the new chip yet since I was out of time before uncle sam said it was time to leave again.

Now I have to sit and wait till I get back home to try it out!
        Last edited by Bill usn-1; 11-04-2003, 09:03 AM.
        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Where you be now??? In the states???
          My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"
          LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:

Comment

I'm on the east coast.
            Havelock, NC.
            Where the hurricane went thru.
            Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

My sis is in Greensboro. Man do you "hop" a military wing or fly commercial to all these places. Lots of frequent flyer miles?

Have fun!!!!
              My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

Working...
              X