alternate vss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternate vss

can the old gm style cruise control box be used for a vehicle speed sensor? I am talking about the one mounted on the fenderwell that has a speedo cable going to it and another out of it to the speedometer.

i am new member but have been reading it for a while.

Welcome!

I've wondered about the vehicle speed sensor (vss) as well but never looked into it!

The Scout II, Traveler, and others have a cruise control box as well. It would be an easy hook-up. Wonder if one could be hooked into the trans then just install your cable?

Then if you start running a VSS does your speedometer have to be accurate? Mine is still exactly 20% high from gear and tire changes.

Heres a picture of one, don't know how many other flavors are available...

[CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Does anyone know of any VSS sensors that would fit inline with the Scout speedometer cables? Do the GM trucks people use for their throttle bodies have a VSS that would fit?

I'm familiar with the Ford sensors, but they are different from the Scout cable so they wouldn't work. By the way does anyone know of another speedometer cable that would fit a Scout II? The parts stores never seem to list one for some reason.

Comment

Doing a quick search this is what we have.
        There is also a link on the main FI page to JTR.
        http://www.justinternationals.org/Bi...e+speed+sensorsearch VSS

HTH
        Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
        HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

Thanks I saw that post but didn't see the part where it said

"The two-pulse square unit for all passenger car TBI installations, all computer controlled carbureted engines, and 1985–1989 TPI engines. 7/8-18 thread, .104" square drive"

I assume that would probably be most of the GM cars at that time wouldn't it?

Now I just need to make sure that is the same output as the Ford unit since I'm using an EEC-IV unit.

Comment

You are really looking for the stars to align!!!!
            Ford and GM using the same output?
            For your sake I hope it is one of those standardized outputs.
            Have you looked at any of the VSS's for the aftermarket electronic speedometers?
            Someone like autometer would have all the data on hand.
            just a thought.
            Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
            Learn to do it right.

Comment

I know it's unlikely, but the good thing is it will still run without it. So I don't have to have it.

Comment

If you go over to "Jags That Run" they use an after market unit to send the signal then modify Pulse per mile in the programing ;)

Comment

Is something like the VSS they show as #1 available from some GM vehicle or is that something special they are making?

Comment

From their web site speed sensor page.

There are four types of VSS signals required by the engine computer (ECM):
                    1. The two-pulse (2000 pulses per mile) square wave (D.C. current or direct current) used on all TBI engines through 1992, all computer-controlled-carbureted engines, and on 1985–1989 TPI engines.
                    2. A four-pulse (4000 pulses per mile) sine-wave (A.C. current or alternating current) signal is required by the 1990–1993 TPI, 1992–1993 LT1 engines, and 1990–1993 Camaro 3.1/3.4 V6 engines.
                    3. A 40 pulse per driveshaft revolution speed sensor used on 1993 and newer trucks with automatic transmission, 1994 and newer rear drive cars (Camaro, Corvette, and Caprice) with the automatic transmission.
                    4. A 17 tooth per driveshaft revolution speed sensor used on 1993–1997 LT1 engines with the Borg-Warner 6-speed transmission. An 11 tooth reluctor ring is used on 1993 LT1 engines with the Borg-Warner wide ratio (3.35 First gear) 6-speed transmission.
                    Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X