This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IH-GM EFI Distributor Clone Update !

The IH GM distributor clone idea has been around for about two years and running for about a year now.

The results have been great using it along with the throttle body fuel injection systems. It's hard to describe an old IH that runs as good as some new vehicles. Cold, hot, low elevation or high in the mountains it's just all good.

At the start we thought it would be an easy maybe even kit form kind of conversion but it proved to be a more precise and complicated machining process due to the varying sizes of distributor housings and shafts. Along with a truing process during assembly.

Finding a machinist that is willing tackle such a chore and develop such a process was the next step. Not a lot of places want to invest any time in this and I will tell you we have hundreds of hours into this. But God had blessed me again when a friend introduced me to Marlo at Jamar machine. Kind of guy that should drive an International (we are working on that conversion) . Anyway his main bread and butter is custom golf clubs...

The picture below shows how the IH Holley type distributor and the GM EFI external coil distributor after being machined and before the assembly.

Here's the link to a larger picture:
    http://www.justih.org/fuel-injection...rawing-600.jpg

There will be a follow up article in the Just International Newsletter next issue for obtaining, cleaning, witness markings etc.. So look for it.

The machining process, pick-up coil, hardware and shipping is $140 as of 10/10/04

You supply the IH and GM distributor parts disassembled and cleaned.

IH distributor needs to be witness marked before disassembly by placing marks on the distributor shaft and gear to indacate which way to reinstall. Ship only the housing, shaft and gear.

GM distributor parts needed are the housing, shaft and copper pick-up coil cover. If you can't figure out how to get the cover off leave it on, Jamar machine will remove it.

Mail with check for $140 to:
    Jamar Machine
    7087 N. 4th Street
    Dalton Gardens Idaho 83815

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the throttle body fuel injection. It gives not only fuel control but adds the spark control as well.

Affordable Fuel Injection does have a new harness that has a tach filter so you don't need any ignition upgrade!
    Then you could add this IH GM clone later.
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Good Job!

Mark,
    A big...

THANK YOU

To you and Marlo.

Mine is a daily driver, 25 miles each way in the nations worst traffic.
    Dallas, Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Add my name to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Bill said, Thanks to both of you for your efforts with this.

Men on a mission I would say!!!

Guess I can loan my Duraspark dizzy to a buddy once I get the IH/GM dizzy.

Whats the reason for the new pickup coil? Would the cost be a tad cheaper without it or is it a neccesity?

Time to sell some small stuff off the donor truck to fund my dizzy.

Thanks again!

Bill You should try driving a forty foot long school bus in that mess they call driving in Dallas/Ft. Worth. If I have a good navigator along its no problem, otherwise everyone better move over or be drove over!!! Most people try there best to give you a little room. Excluding the college kids in the rice burners.
      Last edited by Binderman; 11-21-2003, 09:36 PM.
      My "Disasterpiece"
      1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
      The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
      FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
      LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
      NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

I still run a duraspark in my trail Scout.
        If your going to convert to the GM you will need the Holley and the GM distr.

What I've seen on the used GM distr's is with the electrical connections inside the distr cap, the arcing from the terminals of the rotor and cap causes a lot of corrosion to form.
        If you pull a GM dist apart you will likely see green all over the pick-up and EST connections.
        The new pick-ups are less than $10 and while the distr is completely disassembled is the right time to replace it.

Dallas has taught me to change from defense to offense in driving style.
        If you use your blinker you will never change lanes. They are only used after the change to tell everyone you made it!!
        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

See now why the pickup is added in the price. For only 10 bucks even I can afford that while the dizzy is apart.

Bill Have ya ever drove the trail scout to work? Didnt notice if it was stickered or not. Do people tend to give ya a little more room?

Blinker after you make the change. At least ya use it for something as most don't put out the effort, except to give ya the universal driving sign for going to slow!!

Denver Co. is another place with crazy drivers. Five oclock rush throught the center of Denver is 80 mph plus and bumper to bumper. Makes ya want to find a quick exit and a soda till everyone gets settled down.

Thanks again to everyone that had a hand in the dizzy work!! Wonderful job. Can't wait to get one. A little bling bling?
          My "Disasterpiece"
          1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
          The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
          FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
          LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
          NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

It's just to easy not to change the pick up coil while in there. As you can see from the machined parts picture it would be a total disassembly to replace. Along with the arcing Bill mentioned (I think it has something to do with the dielectric grease they used) there is some kind of coating around the actual windings that usually falls off. Like it has been fried. Just tapping on them and it crumbles.

When I bought mine the pick up coil was $13 so don't think it would be worth a savings.

Thanks for the thanks but it was a labor of love. I do not make anything on these. My time was donated as were a dozen or so distributors that we screwed up. Marlo is the owner of Jamar and he said he would help out best he could so I expected to be billed for some but he only ever charged me for the ones that were completed and usable. So the big thanks would be to him. The cost mentioned above is two hours machine shop labor, postage and a pick-up coil.
            [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

there is no way around it, i must have one of these!!!!!!!!!

incredible work you guys have done!! thanks to you!

just happen to have a holley gb dizzy and a gm efi dizzy just laying out in the garage right now........... :P :)
              Michael Meyer A.S.E. Certified
              Master Automobile Technician
              Owner: Meyer Technology
              Computer and Small Engine/Car/Truck Repair/Carburator Rebuilding
              77 IH Scout Traveler Midas
              pictures at:www.mtmeyer.com

Comment

OK OK. That does it. The Scout(I got for my wife BTW) will be getting the GM TBI system I was saving for the ElCamino.

Now I just need to Find a spare Holley Dist. and a GM Dist to have them made as one

I hate Programing though. :(

Comment

Who are you trying to kid!!
                  You know you love tinkering with the program just as much as dropping the new cam in.
                  You still like to hear it run sweet when your done!

Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                  Learn to do it right.

Comment

hehehe

Yeah but after spending the last four years behind a laptop in the passenger seat I am a little burned out ;)

Heck I need to lean out the Wifes car but the laptop screen wigged out again. I would rather wire the shop then take that dang thing apart again!

Then again they told me I couldn't get 400RWHP out of a stock short block LT1...Or run 11s N/A at 3,750Lbs. Guess they were wrong ;)

BTW Thises are not Sequentual systems so they do not care about firing order? All my programing so far is on SEFI MAF cars.

Comment

I've only played with these so far.
                      7746/8746 160 baud. I'm using the romulator now with tuner pro RT and tuner cat RT.
                      much better than burning a chip for every run.!

You will be a big help when and if I decide to add some injector bungs to the intake manifold!!!
                      Nothing stopping you from doing that to your wifes scout then post the installation up here for all to enjoy..

HUH, HUH, nudge
                      Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                      Learn to do it right.

Comment

I sure wish Tune Cat would get done with the LT1 version of those. Better yet the OBD-II stuff! I am paying out the bung hole now for LT!/LS! edit stuff.

Are you using MEMcal chips? I have to check my notes but this system was off a 91 or 92 Caprice Classic.

This is cool. I found more info on thise sites then dedicated sites I have been surfing for ever ;)

BTW I flunked spelling but can fabrcate just about any thing...just wish I pattened some of it LOL

Comment

They use the 2732 chip, standard eprom. Some are converting to EEPROM so they can flash them without having to erase each time. They also can hold several bins on 1 chip.
                          If I didn't have the romulator I might think of going that way.
                          15 min in the eraser is still 15 min.
                          Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                          Learn to do it right.

Comment

Re: IH-GM EFI Distributor Clone Update !

The machining process, parts and assembly are currently running $115 if you supply the IH and GM distributors disassembled and cleaned. It will include the machining, assembly with new pick-up coil and postage back to you.
                            Mail to:
                            Jamar Machine
                            7087 N. 4th Street
                            Dalton Gardens Idaho 83815
                            Mark -

Do you know if this is still an option? I'm ready to do the conversion to full spark control with my Howell system, and I picked up a holly dist and cleaned it up today. I'll get a GM small-cap HEI next week and clean that up. Any idea if Jamar Machine will still do this conversion if I get him all the parts?

thanks-
                            PJS

Comment

Yup!

He has done quite a few in the last few months.

Comment

Working...
                              X