How to do EFI for inline motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do EFI for inline motors?

John Donnelly is trying to put together a fuel injection setup for a 1967 Blue Diamond motor. All of what I have seen here or anywhere for that matter is for the V8 motors, with a smattering of attention paid to the I4 motors, but nothing on the inline sixes, other than the AMC sixes which have lots of stuff available from Holley and MoPar. If anyone can provide some insight into this, or has done one of these before, please visit the thread here and give him a hand.

http://bbs.binderbulletin.org/forums...1033#post81033
    International Scouts and Trucks of Oregon Charter Member,
    IH Illuminatus,
    IHCC Chapter 30 Member,
    MVCC of Oregon #731

Visit the International Harvester Military Vehicles Forum!

Looking for a good book? Peruse the shelves of the IH Reading Room!

I was there Colin.
    The info is the same. The system is the same. Just need the chip from the 4.3 V-6.
    He is already planning the dist mod.
    Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
    HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
    May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
    Learn to do it right.

Comment

On the path of the Jedi now

Originally posted by Bill usn-1
      I was there Colin.
      The info is the same. The system is the same. Just need the chip from the 4.3 V-6.
      He is already planning the dist mod.
      Thank you to both of you for your help and insight.

I have way too much reading to do now

Binderin',

John
      : beer : Diamond power! : beer :
      If you have never used a search button.... DON'T POST!

Comment

May the force and the bi-focals be with you.

If you don't wear them now you will when your done reading!
        Were here for ya.
        Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
        Learn to do it right.

Comment

May the force and the bi-focals be with you.

If you don't wear them now you will when your done reading!
          Were here for ya.
          From here on out, the rest of the discussion on F.I. for an IHC inline six will be done here.

It is my hope that should I choose this route instead of propane injection that I can create a definitive parts list and "how-to" to F.I. an IHC six cylinder.

Keep on Binderin',

John

Comment

Thoughts mulled

Well, it didn't take the weekend to mull this over.

F.I. is the direction we are going to take. It's amazing what a martini, and a full Thanksgiving Dinner will do for the thought processes when one is stressed about a direction.

First to Bill USN-1, thanks for all your good advice so far, I hope I don't wear out my welcome with you on this.

Second, do you think that Holley unit is being sold for a good deal on E-bay? The "buy it now" button is looking awfully appealing

We begin.

This is gonna be fun (remind me I said that) ;)

Binderin',

John

Comment

I wish I had a good answer for that.
              To be honest I think you could pick one up in a JY from a fiero or something else cheaper.
              BUT...
              I have watched these for the last month. They started out asking about 200 for them and each time they don't sell they drop the price.
              I have had 1 saved on my favorites for the last 3 days trying to convince myself it's the right thing to do knowing I have seen the GM 1 barrels go for $20 on ebay and I let them go by!!
              If you searh ebay, there has also been some of the dodge 1 barrels for sell. No experience with them yet.
              I still want to find a ford 2 barrel TB and bolt it on the IH manifold and use the GM computer to control it. It's a direct bolt on for the holley 2300 bolt pattern.
              Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
              Learn to do it right.

Comment

Holley 1904 info and CFM

Information on the Holley 1904 unit.

The throttle flange is 2-3/4".

Stuff I have garnered from Searching the web.

Based on my math calculations, I would need a Throttle body that flows somewhere between 248 to 293 CFM based on peak RPM of the I-6 which is 3800 RPM's.

This means that the Holley unit would be ideal, as they claim it flows 300 CFM.

I see the extra CFM offered by the Holley as a tuning benefit for the engine to make a small increase in power.

Looks like I am gonna bid.

Binderin',

John
                Last edited by John Donnelly; 11-29-2003, 07:00 PM.

Comment

John, The TB in your BB thread looks just like the one on a junk dodge 2.5 I have in the garage. You can HAVE it if you want. The whole thing is getting thrown on a core pile in the next few weeks.

Can you get some more pics so I can get a positive ID?

Comment

Brendan,
                    The key will be the size of the throttle bore.
                    The holley on ebay is 2in and is rated at 300 cfm.
                    Last I knew holley made the TB's for dodge so it may be close to the same.
                    Can you measure the bore under the throttle shaft?
                    Either way the throttle body may be good for a project.
                    152/196. Don't throw it away even if John can't use it.

Thanks,
                    Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                    Learn to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by brendan
                      John, The TB in your BB thread looks just like the one on a junk dodge 2.5 I have in the garage. You can HAVE it if you want. The whole thing is getting thrown on a core pile in the next few weeks.

Can you get some more pics so I can get a positive ID?
                      I will take it. If the throttle bore is 2".

Are you willing to measure it?

Binderin',

John

Comment

Trying to catch up here!

Trying to use another model throttle body brings up other issues as well.
                        Throttle position sensor. TPS
                        Idle Air Control. IAC

The Holley one barrel you were talking about looks to have the new GM style injectors.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...FI/f500-1.html

Using a one barrel from the GM car equivalent would be a very low cost.
                        One injector to clean, one small shaft to re-bush and a half a rebuild kit.

Another option is a wiring harness to start from AFI and build the rest! They have built custom systems for in-line 6 Jeeps and Land Cruisers.
                        http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/off-road.htm
                        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

This is the TB. It has the TPS and IAC on it. It has a 2 in bore and is rated at 300 cfm.

The big question is ...are there any factory 1 barrels out there with the same cfm rating. 2in or larger bore?
                          With the GM style inj you can swap them for a bigger one if you need more fuel. But you will only flow so much air through 1 hole.

The alternative is to do all the machining and mount a 3.4 TB on top of the 1 barrel manifold. Might be more trouble than it's worth in top end power. That's where it will be affected.

John post up a pic of the intake hole so we can speculate in color!!!
                          Bill USN-1

HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
                          Learn to do it right.

Comment

More info on the I-6

The alternative is to do all the machining and mount a 3.4 TB on top of the 1 barrel manifold. Might be more trouble than it's worth in top end power. That's where it will be affected.
                            The manifold will not lend itself to the 3.4 unit. There isn't enough meat there. If you are familiar with early Rochester carburetters, then the closest 2bbl design that could fit would be a 2GC (the carbs used on the famous "Tri-power" GTO's).

The Holley 1904 (the carb on an IHC I-6) has a throttle flange of 2-3/4". Given the low peak RPM of the IHC 6 (3800 RPM's) I don't think it would benefit from anything that flowed over 300 CFM.

We are dealing with a solid lifter engine with single wind valve springs, LOOONG pushrods, a huge stroke, and 4 main bearings.

I am not looking to spin it faster, only spin it with greater reliability.

John post up a pic of the intake hole so we can speculate in color!!!

I will try. I am in the midst of beginning a move to larger and more comfortable digs to allow my IHC madness to flow better and keep me on the Light side of the Force.

Give me few days to get the vehicle moved and into the shop, and I will remove the carb, and take bunch of pics.

Keep on Binderin',

John
                            Last edited by John Donnelly; 11-29-2003, 07:00 PM.

Comment

All this talk about injected inline 6's has me thinking about my 51 L110 with its 220 six cylinder.

Will have to follow this thread and see how it ends up.

Add another batch of parts to scrounge up to my list.

Have to finish the 800 up first!!!

Gotta get er done before Bill goes to the other side of the "big pond".

Great work/thoughts so far fella's!!!
                              My "Disasterpiece"
                              1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
                              The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
                              FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
                              LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
                              NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Working...
                              X