Weekend progress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend progress?

I have just about completed my adapter plate. Still need to decide what I want to do with the adapter to manifold bolt holes. To save the exspence of an end mill bit I thought I would just countersink the holes and use tapered head allen bolts.

Should I polish the bores? My holesaw was not the correct tooth count for aluminum so they are kinda rough.

Progress Bill?

Thanks to all so far!!!
    Attached Files
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

I even manged to get the pic attached, YES!!!!

I am on a roll!!!

Better take advantage of it, as it is usually short lived.........
    My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:

Comment

Bolt holes

I Tapered the holes on mine, and will use some Countersunk allen head bolts.

BTW, where in Texas are you?

I'm in Waco.

Jon

Comment

All right Binderman!

Binderman are you volunteering to right a piece for our FAQ's ?
        There's an empty page there waiting for your name on it!
        http://www.justinternationals.org/tbi-adapter.htm

Yes use the taper head allen bolts.
        When you install it use a new base gasket and put a very thin layer of silicone type sealer on both sides. I also used locktite (blue) on the allen screws and cleaned out the manifold bolt holes with air then brake fluid for a good adhesion.

Also for those not willing or having time to, these adapters are available from AFI. You would have to ask them for a cost.

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/
        [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
        [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Re: Bolt holes

Originally posted by 72/1310
          I Tapered the holes on mine, and will use some Countersunk allen head bolts.

BTW, where in Texas are you?

I'm in Waco.

Jon
          Small town of Crowell, about 75 miles west of Wichita Falls. You are only a couple miles to the south of me. Half a days drive anyways.

What ya drive?
          Last edited by Binderman; 12-08-2003, 07:20 PM.
          My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle-Mark
            All right Binderman!

Binderman are you volunteering to right a piece for our FAQ's ?
            There's an empty page there waiting for your name on it!
            http://www.justinternationals.org/tbi-adapter.htm

[/URL]
            Sure!! Let me look over some of the other write ups tonight and see what I need for one and then we will go from there. Least I could do for the board and its memebers!! Not like I have contributed anything since joining. Thanks for the offer to help!!

Mark Special thanks to you!! Seen blue yet?
            My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

All right Binderman,
              There's hope for you yet!!!
              Did you angle the holes towards the middle to line up with the manifold or are you boring out the manifold too?
              You could use a little drum sander on it but I wouldn't try to polish them.
              Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
              HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
              May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
              Learn to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill usn-1
                All right Binderman,
                There's hope for you yet!!!
                Did you angle the holes towards the middle to line up with the manifold or are you boring out the manifold too?
                You could use a little drum sander on it but I wouldn't try to polish them.
                Yes they are angled. After measuring and determining the angle needed to have the bores match up, I did not set the plate up in my drill press to the proper angle (after building an adjustable jig for drill press to hold plate at the correct angle). They are really close, but I may still clean the manifold bores up to match the adapter.

It was a learning experience. Took about 2 hours of measuring and remeasuring before I had the nerve to bore the first hole.

Ten dollars in materials and a couple hours work. I am pleased!!
                My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

I cut the holes in mine with a grinder. drilled a large hole in the center and then ground out all of the rest. I also trimmed the outside edge, so you have to really look, to even see that the adaptor is even under the throttle body.

I have a 72 1210. It is not injected yet. Am waiting on Marks drawings so I can build a distributer.

Jon

Comment

Am waiting on Marks drawings so I can build a distributer.
                    Have you seen this thread?
                    http://www.justinternationals.org/Bi...=&threadid=924
                    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
                    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Walmart carries a black and decker(i think) drill bit set that is perfect for this application. They are called "BULLET". The bit has a pilot in the center, but the outer cutting surfaces are flat, as in, perpendicular to the axis of the bit. It looks like this:

|_ _ _ _|
                      | |
                      \ /

I've made 2 adpaters using these bits, they work great.

Comment

Ascii drawing never works.

Comment

Brendan

I will look into the bits for my next one. I already have the holes drilled in mine, so it may be a little hard to keep the bit centered.

What thickness plate did ya use for ours?

Thanks for the heads up on the bit/s.
                          My "Disasterpiece"

My "Ruedh"

Comment

I haven't done one quite like yours before.

The first adapter I made was to adapt a MC2100 onto my 258. I used a 1" carb spacer and just drilled the holes in it for the smaller bolt pattern.

The second was for my TBI project on the same 258, but that one turned out to be useless because I failed to realize that the 4.0 HO manifold I wanted to use won't fit in a fullsize Jeep. It came out beautiful, though.

I try to use socket head cap screws for the adapter hold-down bolts. The 1/2" Bullet bit leaves plenty of room for the head of a socket head screw, even if your holes wind up a bit off target.

To use those screws, you need maybe 3/8" to completely counter sink the head of the screw, plus however much more material beneath that to make to feel secure. I wouldn't go less than 3/4"
                            in thickness on the plate, just beacuse I dont have enough experince fabbing aluminum to really trust it.

Comment

Very nice. I would recomend using an Airobalic Sealer and not a silicone for the sealing though. gas eats silicone sealers ;)

So what do people do when they have a four barrel intake on there 345?

Comment

Working...
                              X