V8 Id.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Id.

I have a '57 A-120 4x4 with a V8 transplanted into it, which doesn't hurt my feelings but I can't ID it as there is no stamping in the usual location,te intake is the same width as the 345/392. I believe the head casting could answer the question but don't want to take apart if I can help it.
    Thanks.
    70 1300 4x4 Travelette,"Clifford",'75 200 1ton 4x4 w/service bed , '74 ScoutII,36x14.50 swampers ,AKA:Rusty ,SOA,RS,D44/D608hole/narrowed,divorced NP202,6 point cage to frame,'"79 SII(Wifes)SOA,304 , 4sp., 37" ProComps, 8000lb. Warn .73'1210 4x4Travelall,392,4sp.,barndoors , 8" lift in progress(She wants 38's). '64 1300 1 ton Travelette 4x4 "Tatonka".
    (2)1980 Scouts with consecutive serial numbers..

on my 392, the size is both stamped on the little tab on the head but is also cast very obviously on the outside top of the head as well. the block should also have the number cast into it. if its a 2bbl id put my money on it being a 345. ive seen few 345s with 4bbls and i dont think 392s ever came with 2bbl setup. -ryan

Comment

Stamp not always correct

Hello,

That stamp on the engine is not always correct. My stamp says '345'

BUT - the casting numbers on the block and head translate to a '392'

Goto http://www.butlers-a1.com/ihcm.htm and find your casting numbers. Then find your engine size from that.

To find the casting numbers on your engine (see picture), look at the oil filter. Just off the back end of the filter, on the block where the block meets the oilpan are the casting numbers. Remove all the dirt/gunk from the block and you will find your numbers. Mine were 434507C1, and on the head 434513C1 (same area as on the block, only where the the head meets the block) Next post will have a picture of that, again, looking past the back of the oilfilter.

Good luck,

Bill
      Attached Files

Comment

head numbers with pix

here is the picture of the head numbers...
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Stamp not always correct

Originally posted by BillCummings
          Hello,

That stamp on the engine is not always correct. My stamp says '345'

BUT - the casting numbers on the block and head translate to a '392'

Goto http://www.butlers-a1.com/ihcm.htm and find your casting numbers. Then find your engine size from that.

Bill
          I don't know that I trust that list, Bill.

Notice it lists the same casting numbers for both an IC 392 block and a pre-IC 392 block, along with the IC heads vs. non-IC heads.

Yes, there's a "C2" in there.. but that just indicates a service part, vs. assembly line part.

I don't think IH used the same casting number for two different engines.. you can't swap a pre-IC head onto an IC-block, nor the other way around - so why use the same casting number?

They would've been making service-item pre-IC heads while building IC engines on the assembly line, so why the same castings?

So, does your engine have the coolant tubes going from the waterpump to the block, or to the heads?

Comment

Hi,

I know what you mean about trusting a list.... But, there are two other 'things' that says 392...

First - water pipes go into the block, not the heads, and two - I emailed Holley with the ID from the original carb. They said that carb was specifically for the International 392 for a '73 1210 pickup. I asked them if that carb could have been for the 345, and they said not for OEM. Someone could have put it on a 345, but I'm pretty sure that carb was original with the engine.

With the extra info - I trust the list. The only way to be absolutely sure would be to pop the head and measure the cylindars. I do want to do that too someday, but not just yet.

Bill

Comment

Hi,

First - water pipes go into the block, not the heads, and two - I emailed Holley with the ID from the original carb. They said that carb was specifically for the International 392 for a '73 1210 pickup. I asked them if that carb could have been for the 345, and they said not for OEM. Someone could have put it on a 345, but I'm pretty sure that carb was original with the engine.

Bill
              If the coolant tubes go back into the block, it's an IC392 (or you're not seeing well and it's really a 196!).

Where did you find this "345" tag that threw you off? on the engine ID boss next to the serial number above the fuel pump?

I don't suppose someone ground it smooth and re-stamped it '345' while your truck was in California or something..

"No sir, that's the original emmissions legal 345.. lookie right there.."

Comment

Yea - the stamp is '345' (doesn't 'look' ground off) ;-) When I bought the engine, I paid for a 392. The guy I bought it from was very suprised and willing to work with me on making the deal fair, then I heard about the casting numbers, emailed Holley and the water pipes issue firmed it all up. Don't know why the stamp would be like that. The only thing I can think of is that this was the first 392 off the line after a bunch of 345s and it accidentally got stamped that way.

Anyway - what is 'IC' -vs- 'non IC' ("intercooling"????)

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

Yea - the stamp is '345' (doesn't 'look' ground off) ;-) When I bought the engine, I paid for a 392. The guy I bought it from was very suprised and willing to work with me on making the deal fair, then I heard about the casting numbers, emailed Holley and the water pipes issue firmed it all up. Don't know why the stamp would be like that. The only thing I can think of is that this was the first 392 off the line after a bunch of 345s and it accidentally got stamped that way.

Anyway - what is 'IC' -vs- 'non IC' ("intercooling"????)

Bill
                  Improved Cooling. It's a modification IH made around 72/73, specifically to fix some hot-spot issues on the 392 when used in Loadstars.

It means the coolant pipes go into the block, not the head. It also means you can't do ANY interchange of heads/blocks between an IC and the rest of the SV family (including the pre-IC 392).

Comment

V8 ID.

According to Butlers I have a 304 with 345 heads ? Block looks like 217144R and heads look like 216888 R-1 , probably a little off due to things falling in my eye(only got one you know).Jon.
                    70 1300 4x4 Travelette,"Clifford",'75 200 1ton 4x4 w/service bed , '74 ScoutII,36x14.50 swampers ,AKA:Rusty ,SOA,RS,D44/D608hole/narrowed,divorced NP202,6 point cage to frame,'"79 SII(Wifes)SOA,304 , 4sp., 37" ProComps, 8000lb. Warn .73'1210 4x4Travelall,392,4sp.,barndoors , 8" lift in progress(She wants 38's). '64 1300 1 ton Travelette 4x4 "Tatonka".
                    (2)1980 Scouts with consecutive serial numbers..

Comment

Re: V8 Id.

Ok, I am going to resurrect this old post. I bought a 64 Scout 80 parts rig for the warn overdrive and a few other things. Anyhow, after scraping away all the gunk on the dipstick tube, I checked the bolt location and sure enough, I have a 196 (ID plate showed a gutless 86.4HP, thus I thought it was a 152). Anyhow, can I decode what year the engine is from the casting number on the block or head? Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

Re: V8 ID.

Originally posted by Wagonmaster
                        According to Butlers I have a 304 with 345 heads ? Block looks like 217144R and heads look like 216888 R-1 , probably a little off due to things falling in my eye(only got one you know).Jon.
                        jon,according to my master head chart i can't even find that #,is that for sure the rite #?jeff,can't even find it in my parts manual from the mid 60's?it's older than dirt! : bonk :
                        jeffoh,'71-1210,4wd,396.6,727,3.73's,'74-150,4wd,392-727,'69-1100,304,bw,auto,4wd,( [email protected] )

Comment

Working...
                        X