Dana 20 VS. 38" Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 20 VS. 38" Tires

When the time comes I will be running 38's on my '64 Scout 80. How's the Dana 20 T-case going to handle those tires? Dana 60's front and rear with high gearing will be used also. Thanks, DaveC.

You will find a weaker link first I feel. May be wrong, have been before. All depends on your driving style I would say. I seen a yellow ScoutII with 36's put through thunder and the d/s and a weak front locker went, not the t/c. Hate to speak about another mans truck, but I was truely impressed that was all that was tore up, for what it went through. All fixed or upgraded now, so all is well. Hi Bill!!!!

Then to see what the trucks at RMIHR had to drive over/around. Incredible!!!!

Another thought, try it and see. If not then upgrade?

Again driving style is the major factor.

Good luck!!!
    My "Disasterpiece"
    1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
    The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
    FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
    LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
    NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Re: Dana 20 VS. 38" Tires

Originally posted by david
      When the time comes I will be running 38's on my '64 Scout 80. How's the Dana 20 T-case going to handle those tires? Dana 60's front and rear with high gearing...

T-case will be fine, depending on horsepower & abuse level. Do you already have a D20 or a Dana 18?

Gearing....you really mean "low" gears, correct? With high numbers, ie 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, etc?

My bro used to run 38"s on a 1961 Scout...minimal abuse...

good luck....Ronnie:)
      Lil Red Bus
      1967 800

Comment

I am currently running around with a Dana 18 and 36" tires. The Gears are currently 4.10 and will eventually be 4.56 if I have the right carrier which I hope I do.

Comment

Originally posted by david
          The Gears are currently 4.10 and will eventually be 4.56 if I have the right carrier which I hope I do.
          Assuming that you are talking about Dana 60's, 4.10's and 4.56's run on different carriers....series 3 vs series 4....so you would have to change your carriers to run 4.56's...

R
          Lil Red Bus
          1967 800

Comment

I think that was the brake off point between the available gear ratios 4.10 and lower and 4.56 and higher. Do you happen to know the availability of the series 4 carriers? Or are they about as hard to find as a D60 frontend?
            Thanks, David Carlo

Comment

Carriers shouldn't be hard to find...new or used....60's are around if you look and have $$$...
              Lil Red Bus
              1967 800

Comment

Working...
              X