New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

Hey all, I just joined. I heard about this place after I bought Travis' old 152 on ebay. I inherited a '62 Scout 80 recently, and have been making an attempt to restore it. So far, just sanding and de-rusting, but now I am getting into more serious stuff and have a lot of questions. So get used to me, cause I'll be around a lot. ;)
    First off, I was wondering if someone could describe the shift patterns on the Scout 80 transfer case for me, they aren't marked. Also, how do I do a compression test?

Any and all help appreciated,
    -J

Welcome aboard!

I can help with the compression test.

You will need a compression tester, remove all spark plugs (note where they go) insert Compression tester into each spark plug hole and have a Friend crank the engine over and count the times it comes up on compression, stop at five. Repeat on all cylinders and record the numbers. Maybe someone has the specs on these. Best thing is they are within ten percent.
    [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
    [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

WOW
      There's 2 Tampa Bay fans!!!
      Haven't seen the cream sickle uniform in a while!!

Welcome aboard.
      I'm from St Pete before Uncle Sam got me.
      Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
      HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
      May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
      Learn to do it right.

Comment

Uncle Sam had me right down I-35 in Ft. Hood for few years. Now I am at University of Florida, so I am a Tampa Bay fan. I am originally from KY, but we don't have any pro teams, so having a home team is a new experience for me.

-J

Comment

Been there and Lackland.

1 good season in 27yrs. at least we had 1!!!
          Bill USN-1

COMMITED TO TEACHING PEOPLE THE "PROPER" WAY TO EFI
          HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION
          May be the answer to all your fuel injection needs!
          Learn to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
            The rest of the folks like me make it up as they go.
            Don't suppose you could tell me the shift patterns on a Scout 80 transfer case? When I get that engine of yours in, I'm going to want to start mudding this old girl.

-J

Comment

HI J. ,greetings from the pacific northwest.If your transfer case is an 18 the left stick is your 4 wheel drive, forward is out back is in.The right stick is low and high forward is low and back is high.If your t-case is a 20 than your left stick is your rear axle,forward is low back is high.Your right stick is your front axle, forward is also low back is high.Make sense? see ya around.
              Rick,69 Scout ,TBI 392,TF727,dana 20 with 2to1 Mr Scout creeper box, one tons with 4.88s ,hysteer,power steering with ram assist,hydroboost,OBA,36x14.5x15 super swampers.
              Check Out My 69 Buildup!

Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything

Comment

It seems like the right stick has two settings, and the left has more, 3 or maybe four. I am not sure what transfer case I have. How do I tell? Is there a model number somewhere?

-J

Comment

Being a 62 you probably have a three speed tranny with a 18 t-case.Either way the center positionon any of the sticks(20 or 18)is neuteral.The binder bulletin has some great info in their tech library on t-cases and transmissions. Check it out and let me know what happens. Thanks,Rick
                  Rick,69 Scout ,TBI 392,TF727,dana 20 with 2to1 Mr Scout creeper box, one tons with 4.88s ,hysteer,power steering with ram assist,hydroboost,OBA,36x14.5x15 super swampers.
                  Check Out My 69 Buildup!

Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything

Comment

Ok, just went out and played around with the transfer case, and I figured it out! The right stick appeared to only have 2 settings because it will only go into 2 of the 3 at a time; Neutral, and whichever setting the left stick is in. Got her in and out of 4W Hi, and 4W Lo. Thanks, guys!

-J

Comment

Working...
                    X