Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My build thread "The Old Warhorse". Project: NO RATTLE..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My build thread "The Old Warhorse". Project: NO RATTLE..

Well, I got back into it a little today. I know I should've done this part before the paint...but I didn't... 'Nuff said.. I had a friend at work make me this tight bend in the sheet metal brake. It turned out okay, I guess. I'm not sure why he made it out of 1/16" sheet, but it's likely that was all that was laying around at work. Because of this, he wasn't able to get the bend quite as tight as the original. This will result in the front of my roof being 1/8" higher than the original position. But since my options are limited here, I've chosen the "good enough" attitude. I hope that doesn't cause me any unforeseen grief later.

I also got the windshield-to-hood latch rebuilt. I couldn't find an "exact" replacement spring. The one I used, when fully compressed, didn't allow enough clearance for the hood latch. But there was enough excess material on the end of the bolt. So I just shortened it by about 1/8". Perfect. I hope it doesn't rattle, but I doubt it will now. If it does, I have a teflon sleeve plan. But that's another story.

I also used the plug weld method here for esthetic sake. It worked really well. Just for reference, I'll mention that some people on youtube, refer to this as "rosette weld".

I used weld though zinc primer on this piece and body seam sealer along the small gap to ensure water isn't able to enter though. Now, I just have to lower the roof, mark and drill the mounting hole locations, and repaint. Then, once I get my wife's car repainted, I can start back on it..

Any and all comments are welcomed with open arms. I want to do this as proper as I can..

Edit: Pictures lost in time...
    Last edited by 4ByFourByeIV; 10-08-2018, 02:38 PM.
    62 Scout 80/152/t-90/Dana 18/27 front/offset 44 rear
    Also known as "Kingben01" on Binderplanet.com
    My build thread:

Isn't it funny how we never have time to do it right, but we always have time to do it again......

Comment

I'm still planning on finishing this thing. Life has seriously gotten in the way since my last entry.. But this machine has sat waiting for me for about 14 years. A little longer won't hurt.. More to come.
      My build thread:

Isn't it funny how we never have time to do it right, but we always have time to do it again......

Comment

Just like eating an elephant...one bite at a time. Keep on truckin'
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

1965 Scout 80- 7.3PSD/ZF/203/205 D60F/14BFF
        Member: 4 Jackstand Wheeler's Association

Comment

Well, after four years, and two relationships, and a whole lot of life stress later, I'm back. ​ This build is not dead...​ And to prove it, here are a few photos of some body panels I have purchased, for probably a lot more than I should've spent.

I think I did it just to force myself back into this project... Still on the hunt for some decent front fenders. My plan at this stage is to strip the exterior, repair the structural body, and re-skin the outside because that will be a lot less work than trying to rebuild the existing body panels. I now have a new front clip, box sides, box end caps, and tailgate.

I will be re-using the doors, hood, and windshield frame, obviously. I also have a travel top, and I picked up a travel top that has been shortened. But that's an adventure for future me.

I hope to dig into this sometime in the summer, since there are no crazy ex's, no children, no foster children, and most importantly, a lot less stress in my life these days.

Cheers
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 4ByFourByeIV; 10-08-2018, 02:51 PM.
          My build thread:

Comment

looking good.. take it alittle at a time. myself each year I try and do at least one major project on my scout .

Comment

Updated all my pics and this renewal of the site has inspired me to go work on my scout this evening.
              My build thread:

Comment

I did it again.... Bought a 196 for my project... Now I just have to get it here from Utah. I'll be out a lot of cash if I don't get this thing done now....
                I planned on starting into it last fall, but work had me cornered with 14 hour days, which I'm still doing. So once again, I had to postpone. I hate life... It gets in the way of fun. Also, my health has taken a bit of a side road, so I don't have the energy I used to.. Alll the more reason to be motivated to get stuff done though..
                My build thread:

Comment

Anybody out there anymore? I'll likely continue this on binder planet. This forum is deader than dead with no tech posts in 6 months..
                  My build thread:

Comment

Working...
                  X