Plate between engine block and oil filter housing leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate between engine block and oil filter housing leak

A few months ago, I swapped out the engine on my 1965 Scout 80. I bought a 1961 - 80 engine that was rebuilt and painted from a local guy off craigslist. I had the engine swapped out by a mechanic friend. We noticed that plate between engine block and the oil filter housing was mounted with three holes compared to my old engine's plate that had four holes. Got everything back together and engine started right up and sounds fine. However after about one hour or so of running it, this oil leak developed on this plate. I took the plate off and replaced with with another plate that I purchased. I still have my original plate from the old engine. Still leaks. I used 2 gaskets on both side of this plate as well. Any idea why it is still leaking? There's a Scout parts store in Spokane Washington, Out Back Scout. Owner there mentions to get the gasket sealer called "Copper Coat" and liberally apply and don't assemble until sealer has become tacky. Owner also mentioned the 1961 had the three hole plate which starting in 1962 IH went to a four hole plate. Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

Similar problem, yes. Sealant material called "RightStuff" finally sealed it for me. In my case, I was putting the newer adapter, for the spin-on oil filter, onto a 152/196. Had trouble getting it to seal. Discovered sometimes the adapters are warped. So it is possible that you are dealing with some parts that aren't as flat as they should be. In my case, I put the "RightStuff" on, then bolted the adapter onto the block, just barely tightened it, then waited 24 hours or so before tightening it.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie
    Lil Red Bus
    1967 800

Comment

Thanks Ronnie, I used the copper coat gasket sealer along with the regular two gaskets. Applied everything two days ago. I let it sit since. Haven't needed the Scout as my snow is melting and use the Scout for snowplowing. I will probably attach the oil filter on tomorrow and see what happens. I swapped out the plate adapter with the old engines plate cause I thought as you mentioned there may be something wrong or warped with the adapter that came with the new engine.

Comment

I forgot to post back here, but I have been successful in stopping my oil leak at the oil filter housing plate. I used Copper Coat, took my time applied it to the block surface , gaskets, and the plate. Let everything set up for about 20 minutes. It was really tacky, and I installed. As mentioned, after a day, I attached the oil filter and housing. Started it up. Doesn't leak a drop.

Comment

Working...
        X