Full-width 44's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-width 44's

Talked with Todd the other day about some Scout 2 44's for a SOA on my '62 80. He said that I should get the full width 44's of of an international truck, and shorten them, and put those under my rig. This because they are already set up for hi-steer, and also for SOA.

Ok - My question. What if I left them full width? What issues do I need to know about that? (changes required)

Also - It looks like they will just 'bolt' right up under my 80, but what about the difference in the width of the springs? What is to be done about that? I would like to get a set of the lift springs that Mr. Scout has for 80/800's
    - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
    62 Big Scout 80 Buildup
    My Buddy Ken's 41 Hot Rod Build

clarity

My question about spring width has to do with the perches on the full width axles. Seems dangerous to run narrow springs on wide perches.
    - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
    62 Big Scout 80 Buildup

Comment

Re: clarity

Originally posted by Jensers
      My question about spring width has to do with the perches on the full width axles. Seems dangerous to run narrow springs on wide perches.
      You can grind/notch the wider perches to fit the narrower springs, or build custom U-bolt plates to help "capture" the spring better.

I've done both when putting a FW Chevy axle (2.5 perches) under my SII with 2" springs. I now prefer the "u-bolt plate with extra shims to make the spring as wide as the perch" approach.

Comment

Hmmmm

Yeah - I was talking with some guys on BB and they were telling me about this. Even saw a pic or 2. Seems like the easiest way to accomplish making up for the width. One guy told me just to go ahead and do it without bothering with it, and that the worst that could happen is the leafs begin to fan out... Not sure I am comfortable with that, so I will probably do something similar to your answer.

Thanks for responding!
        - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
        62 Big Scout 80 Buildup

Comment

I am contemplating the same idea about using full width axles on my 80 also. I would like to use wider springs if I do the change over. The question I have is: Are the spring plates on the full width axles going to be spread farther apart then my frame is going to allow. Thanks, DaveC.

Comment

Originally posted by david
            I am contemplating the same idea about using full width axles on my 80 also. I would like to use wider springs if I do the change over. The question I have is: Are the spring plates on the full width axles going to be spread farther apart then my frame is going to allow. Thanks, DaveC.
            I think you mean the spring-perches, right?

I believe you shouldn't have much of a problem. ~31.5" (center pin to pin) apart. Even if that doesn't match up with your frame, there's nothing wrong with inboard/outboarding the springs a little.

Look at a SII's rear springs - completely outboard of the frame, mounted on the side.

Since you're going to wider springs you'll need to fab new spring hangers anyhow.

If you need to offset the springs a little, just offset your hanger.

For instance, say you take a piece of 3x3x.250"(wall) square tubing for your spring hanger. This should have a 2.5" inside dimension.

Cut one side of the box tubing away to make a "C"

Now if you need to outboard/inboard your springs, just slide the "C" to either side of the frame a little (it won't overhang much) and weld. For extra strength, put a gusset in between the "overhang" and the vertical part of the frame.

Same up front when you build your new shackle hanger.

Comment

Working...
            X