CJ-7 Springs on Scout 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ-7 Springs on Scout 80

Has anybody done this type of conversion. The springs I'm thinking about buying are a stock set out of a CJ-7. They seem to have a lot more arch than my stock springs. I will eventually be running Dana 60's when the time comes around, just to through in a little more info. Thanks, DaveC.

Why not just go to a spring shop and have some custom made. They can do all sorts of stuff. stiffen, soften, raise and lower and anything in between.
    Carl in Idaho

Smile this is as good as it gets

Comment

The CJ springs are an inexpensive way to go. The rancho 1" lifted springs are very inexpensive and guaranteed forever. They are the same dimmensions as scout 80 and 800's. The lifted front springs have an extra wrap around leaf that may cause some small problems, but can easily be fixed. Many of the guys in our club are puting the scout II springs and mounts on the 80 and 800's for more travel and lift.
      Tow strap? : histeric

Comment

Carl I have checked into the spring shop idea and they want as much money to re-arch as to buy new rancho springs.

Comment

Hey Dave C

I am from yakima but going to school in Pullman at WSU. We should get together sometime and talk about scouts and such. What school are you going to Perry?
          Ryan E

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Munns
            Carl I have checked into the spring shop idea and they want as much money to re-arch as to buy new rancho springs.
            Really?
            So it just depends on what you want to do
            Carl in Idaho

Smile this is as good as it gets

Comment

Ya, I go to school @ Perry. Only have 4 more months and then I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Munns
                Many of the guys in our club are putting the scout II springs and mounts on the 80 and 800's for more travel and lift.
                That'd sorta be me...stock 800 main leaf with SII springs underneath, new U-bolts & plates...(SII = 1/4" wider)

R
                Lil Red Bus
                1967 800

Comment

Dont forget about the 2.5" springs from Mr. Scout in oregon. They are about $500, but spec'd out for your 80/800.

Now - I get junk for this every time I say it, but I have heard that the CJ springs flatten out because the 80/800 is quite a bit heavier than the CJ - BUT - if they are guaranteed forever, then who cares if they flatten out - That is - if they will still honor the guarantee if they are under a scout and not a CJ. Something to look into...
                  - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
                  62 Big Scout 80 Buildup
                  My Buddy Ken's 41 Hot Rod Build

Comment

I am looking into this. Talked to Todd.. He says that the CJ-5/7 springs are the ones that fit according to what he remembers. My main deal is the price and if they will honor the warranty.

So this is some info:

Rancho cj springs:
                    They are 40.5" Center to Center and 1.75" wide. (2.5" lift) The second leaf is does wrap.

The help line said that putting them under a vehical other than the one intended will void the warranty. But how are they going to know what they were on when you send them in (honesty the best policy ;) )

Price = 4wheel parts - for all 4 = $365

Now - Mr Scout 80/800 springs (2.5" lift) are = $465 for all 4

$100 difference... Hmmmm... When I talked to Mr.Scout he said that in all the years that he has been selling them he has only had a handfull ever come back, and those were on V8 rigs that also had a bunch of extra weight on them - Winch, compressor, Tire rack, etc. OR due to someone that had done a SOA and didnt extend their bump stops so that they stressed them all the way backward (if that makes sense) - - BUT on a case by case basis he will warranty them if they go flat.

There you go - all the info you need to make a decision.
                    - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
                    62 Big Scout 80 Buildup
                    My Buddy Ken's 41 Hot Rod Build

Comment

I'll see if I can get you a better deal on them, but it is always nice to support Mr. Scout. They said they might make our show next year, so it would be nice to send them some business. If you order make sure and let them know you are with the Just Internationals club and look forward to seeing them at our show.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about doing that and I agree that is the correct thing to do...long-term solution....but I was curious how it would work out the way I did it, and I had the springs lying around, so stuffed it together that way...booty-fab, basically.

Reality is the truck hardly ever gets driven anymore, much less wheeled....I haven't even been up to WA for two months...

Ronnie

Edit: I also had the u-bolts and plates lying around the shop, so it cost me nothing....springs were badly bent backwards, so it much improved the situation, brought the nose up 4", back to where it was when I built the truck in 1991...been airborne a few times between 1991 and 2003, that's kinda hard on springs...
                        Last edited by Ronnie; 10-30-2003, 01:31 AM.
                        Lil Red Bus
                        1967 800

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
                          Yep, saw you AIRBORNE at the Binder Bash.

Fixed it for ya....

Edit: We had a great time at Binder Bash, even if we were freezing all day...looking forward to doing it again next year!!!

R
                          Last edited by Ronnie; 10-30-2003, 11:50 PM.
                          Lil Red Bus
                          1967 800

Comment

Working...
                          X