Smoking from the oil filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking from the oil filler

I picked up my first scout last week and it has been a learning curve that is pretty steep. I have not really dug into it yet I will start this winter. I have noticed that when the engine is warm and I remove the oil fill cap there is smoke that comes out. Is this normal and if not any clues as far as the cause?

Sounds pretty normal.....some caused by the warm oil moving rapidly through the running engine...some oil vaporizes, creates "smoke"....which lingers after engine shut-off....

Does this describe what you're seeing?

:)
    Lil Red Bus
    1967 800

Comment

Ronnie that sounds like it the engine was running "warm" when I first noticed it, I am currently working on getting the bugs out, runs hot, choke problem, leaking valley gasket. I think I can drive care free now, its all good

Comment

It shouldn't run hot unless the radiator or thermostat is screwed up somehow....
        Lil Red Bus
        1967 800

Comment

What kind of truck and motor? You didn't say...
          But if it's a 68 should it have an PCV valve? I know earlier vehicles didn't and they had more smoke from the filler and a breather as well. If the vehicle has an PCV valve I would look to see if it is working. Also that the other end (breather) is open.
          [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
          [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

I know in the army they say if there is a lot of vapor and or white smoke coming from the oil fill and the dip stick it could be some pressure by passing the rings or something in the head.....but if it isnt to bad thats probubly not the cause....

Comment

Absolutely true it's called blow by!
              [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
              [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X