Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive?

I picked up my first Scout last week, a 68 with a 266. Other than needing new gaskets and a suspension restoration everything is great. I like having the 4wd but I do not plan on doing alot of offroading. I have heard of overdrive possibly being available. I plan on driving this truck most days when there is no snow, and I would like to be able to travel at 65mph without the feeling I am hurting the engine. The scout is a four speed any suggestions?

I don't know of an avail OD unit for your Dana 20 transfercase...you're hearing of that because the earlier Scout 80's, which had Dana 18 TC's, have an overdrive option from Warn Overdrive....

What gears/tires are you running...have you calculated your RPM at 65mph?

Ronnie:)
    Lil Red Bus
    1967 800

Comment

Ronny- please bear with me I have some info, I am not up to speed on the gear ratios and all I am running P235?75R15 Tires
      according to the original line ticket I have a T45 Transmission and a RA9 rear axel and TC145 transfer case. I am not sure how to use this info to get my RPM at a certain speed. Any help would be greatly welcome. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Scout V
        I am running P235?75R15 Tires
        ....I am not sure how to use this info to get my RPM at a certain speed.
        That tire size converts to a 29" tire....using an RPM calculator found on the Internet, if you have 3.73 gears then at 65mph you are running 2811 RPM....4.27 gears = 3218 RPM......4.88 gears = 3678.....

Your line-set ticket "should" tell you the axle ratio on the same line as the axle info...or not....chances are it's 4.27 but you never know...axles might also have tags on the differentials...or not...

The motor should be ok cruising at 3200 RPM, although it's definitely going to be louder than you're used to....if you went up to slightly larger tire, ie 30" that would lower your RPM some at 65MPH.

Sorry I couldn't help you on the OD...search around though....

Ronnie:)
        Lil Red Bus
        1967 800

Comment

Working...
        X