Spring over on a 65 scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring over on a 65 scout

We are about to start a spring over on a 65 scout and would like any helpfull hints about the brakes lines, stearing and so on. We are going to keep the stock springs and keep it as simple as posible.

Regards,

axle upgrade

not planning on axle upgrade now, maybe later. Want to keep things simple as yet.

thanx

Comment

Travis - What do you want for it?
      - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
      62 Big Scout 80 Buildup
      My Buddy Ken's 41 Hot Rod Build

Comment

Sounds good
        - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
        62 Big Scout 80 Buildup
        My Buddy Ken's 41 Hot Rod Build

Comment

Seems to be a lot of the members of this site/group that have spring over 80/800's. Look in the member profiles and see if you can get one of the guys who have doen this to chime in.

Mark Do you run with any of the owners of said trucks? I would like a little input on the issue myself as I thought I might spring over my 27 and then install the D60 when the "little' axles dies.

Wish ya luck with your search!!!

Here is one with SOA. And another
          My "Disasterpiece"
          1970 800A 4X4,HFI'd,304,B/W,27,44,3:73,28's.
          The rest are in my 25 year plan!

My "Ruedh"
          FREE 1972 1110 4x4,V8(?)727,205,44 drum/60/3.54's,small cheap tires.
          LOOOOADS-O-RUST!! Donor body located. Not!! JY owner played the "crusher value" card. : angry:
          NON-working rear window. Need info!!!

www.northtexasbinders.com

Comment

Re: axle upgrade

Originally posted by Jim in Alaska
            not planning on axle upgrade now, maybe later. Want to keep things simple as yet.

thanx

I have a '67 SOA with D27/D44...I built mine in 1991, and my brother ran a fab shop at the time so I paid no labor...it can be done and you can use stock brakelines (at their limit), drivelines. You will need modified steering and longer shocks. It will drive worthless unless you twist it. Twisting a D27 is kind of a waste of time/money in most circumstances, that's why people ask how you are planning to upgrade. I have broken the axle, have another friend who has broken his, Travis has broken several in the past. Stock steering parts are not strong enough. I also twisted in two a stock front driveline. All on 4-cyls. So the stock parts are not strong. If you have good fab resources, then go for it and run it 'til it breaks.

Sorry to complicate it, but things are never "simple." So shoot with more questions....

R:)
            Lil Red Bus
            1967 800

Comment

hey i have help in a big way go to DandC Extreme web site check out the story on white meat / snoppy its a full write up with pics and part info also the scout is know known as snoppy and is for sale on binder bulletin forums you can access DandC from his for sale add on snoppy i hope this helps
              Last edited by scoutfan727; 11-13-2003, 05:16 AM.

Comment

spring over

I am currently doing a SOA and I opted to do mine a little different. I took a dana 44 out of a pickup with the spring seats already on top and the flat top knuckles. I cut the yokes loose at the end of the tubes and shortened them to scout width and also twisted the axle at the same time. I then drilled the knuckles to 8 holes to accept my scout wheel ends. I also purchased the die to build my tie rods and draglinks going to 1 ton chevy ends. I purchased the high steer arms from Shakerbuilt and coverted everything to high steer. At this point the rear axle is out of a scout 2 with the seats welded on top, but I am having thoughts of a Dana 60 or 14 bolt. I had my last Dana 60 (rear) out of a 1/2 ton travelall narrowed to scout 2 width by a company in Portland. I have been running scout 2 dana 44 axle shafts without a single problem. I know you don't want to go this far yet, but I just wanted to give you some ideas. I will have pictures posted on the website as I complete this project.
                Tow strap? : histeric

Comment

Working...
                X