Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work to be done - advice

Well here is the list of stuff to be done on my 62 scout 80:

Look thru and tell me if you have any suggestions. I bolded the things that need to get, but am not sure about what I need.

For Now:

4.5" heater Hose to get heat back - its freezing! ($13 JC whitney)
    Fix engine side wiring
    Tune up - have it
    Ignitor/coil - have it
    New Carb install - have it
    Finish new dash - have it
    Convert to Spin on oil filter - Need it - Pull one off of later 196?
    Flip windshield wipers - PO put in upside down
    Clean up Tail wiring

For SOA (End of the Month):

Lift springs - Mr. Scout buying soon
    Need to prep Axles for SOA
    U-bolts - Need it
    Torch off Bumpers
    New crossmember up front
    Reverse Shackle and extended shackles - have it
    Shocks - Need it - Size to be workable with SOA and lift springs?
    Extended brake lines - Need it

Poly bushings - have it
    Caster Shims - Need it

For Later:

New tail lights - Need it
    Seats - Need it
    Cutout Bulkhead
    Cage - have it
    Guage kit - Need it
    Stereo - Need it
    Cut out pass side vent
    New doors - Need it
    Steering wheel and adapter - Need it
    Shorten column
    Seat Belts - Need it
    Put in replacement antenna - have it
    Soft Top - Need it
    - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
    62 Big Scout 80 Buildup
    My Buddy Ken's 41 Hot Rod Build

About the spin on filter - Jamie told me that I could pull one off just about anything, but he was telling me about the 3 bolt/ 4 problem... I forget what that is about....

On the other bolded stuff - I just need to know what you other guys have done in a similar situation - I am going SOA with 2.5" lift springs so I will be up there.

Thanks,
    Jens
    - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
    62 Big Scout 80 Buildup

Comment

Hello all,
      Let me start by sayin' "fine job on the web site!"
      My wife and I bought an ol' Buchanan County school bus last year and the conversion has been alot of fun. The thermostat stuck after picking up 2 hitchhikers and as I was talkin' to the riders I didn't see the temp start to go up. I blew a head gasket! Well I have the top end tore down and I just spent the better part of three days cleaning each individual part with a tooth brush as it got removed. I still have one cylinder head and valve cover to clean and paint. I am having the heads re-surfaced and pressure tested. I was wondering about tech help on vacuum lines, wiring and anything I need to pay attention too as I put the ol' girl back together. I saw on one of the post here where to find the engine make and after looking on that flat spot just behind the fuel pump I saw v345e and under it was 33377 c or o (not sure). Can I find re-build help for this motor some where?

Thanks guys,
      Matt
      http://www.geocities.com/capttrips25

Comment

Matt Sutherland...welcome...sure can....try the search function and when posting questions try to be as specific as possible....

Jens...so....you're planning SOA, 2.5" lift springs, RS and extended shackles......my best math says about 10-12" of lift?? Are you building a show truck or a wheeler? How big a tire do you plan to run? On stock axles? How do you forsee using it?

Usage will provide a lot of input on how to build it....Ideally you want your COG as low as possible for a wheeler....If you're building a show truck, then hey I do not know anything about that.

Curiousity...on your to-do list you mention 4.5" heater hose...what is that for? Are you referring to the fresh-air ducts that run from the front into the passenger compartment? Doesn't the heater outlet dump directly onto the passenger foot area?

Ronnie:)
        Last edited by Ronnie; 11-06-2003, 12:27 AM.
        Lil Red Bus
        1967 800

Comment

On the heater hose - no it doesnt - my blower is on the drivers side and it has about a foot of hose from the blower to the ducts on the firewall. So I am using the new hose to replace that.

As for the RS - the extended shackles are really just for the back to match up the little lift put in from the RS (1" or so). So they are not "that" long.

I am going to wheel it. It is not a show truck, but it isnt falling apart either...

I already have a 44 in the rear and I will eventually put a 44 up front, but for now, I am going to break the 27 up front first. (Rick and Troy have run their 27's up front for quite some time, and they wheel them pretty hard - No breaky... But eventually they will of course. Hopefully by then I will have the change to get that done on mine as well.

I eventually want to run 35" rubber. I am just waiting for a set of tires to come up over here so I can get a bit of a deal.

I talked to a couple of guys last night about the things I am looking for and I am just going to wait untill I get the spring over done to measure up what size shock I need. (Thanks Travis, Todd, and Rick)

As far as extended brake lines, I am probably going to go the cheap route on that for now as well, and just extend my hard line. Eventually I will change it when I put in the 44 up front.

So the only thing I am looking for now is a 4 bolt -spin on oil filter mount. You know anyone that has one?
          - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
          62 Big Scout 80 Buildup

Comment

Thanks Travis -

As far as the axles - I am waiting to talk to Rick and Troy to see what they want to do on this. Problem is - I think I am going to get into the same situation that you are in as far as wanting the 44's, so I might as well break the 27's and then just go strait to the 44. BUT - if rick and troy want to go in on this then it is hard to pass up the deal... So like I said - I will talk to them and sort it out here in the next few days.
            Thanks again - let me know what you want for the spin on mount and I will send you a check. (I went and looked for one this morning on the parts rigs that I work with, but they all had either the cartridge or the mount was already gone :mad:...)

- Jens
            - Jens

Hot Rod Scout 80 buildup
            62 Big Scout 80 Buildup

Comment

Extended brake lines - Need it
              Going as far on your project you may want to look at replacing all 30 year old lines. Stopping is a good thing.
              Once you have the lines run from master cylinder to center above the front and rear axles you can get a good measurment for the flexible brake lines to the axle. Run a steel line across the axle to a fitting in the middle. I had mine built by a guy here in CDA he uses stainless steel wrapped hose which gives a firmer feel too over the rubber.!
              [CENTER]1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1/4L60E. White and Woodgrain Sleeper...PCM 16188051 With SS/V4P/Custom Tune! WOT 12.9 AFR!

1990 Chevy Suburban Silverado 5.7L 2wd ECM 1227747 HiWay Lean Cruise 18.5 MPG and 12.5 to 1 AFR at WOT!

1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 4 speed PCM 16197427 Project!

[SIZE=3][B][URL="http://www.gearhead-efi.com/"]GearHead-EFI.com[/URL] EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners![/B][/SIZE]
              [B]May be all you need to know about EFI![/B]

and I still help local JustIH members (for fun) free! :cool: [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Jensers
                On the heater hose - no it doesnt - my blower is on the drivers side and it has about a foot of hose from the blower to the ducts on the firewall. So I am using the new hose to replace that.

Shows how much I remember about Scout 80's...obviously the 800 is different, as the heater assembly sits in front of the passenger, on both sides of the firewall. Core is on the engine side, with airbox inside. I used some JCW hose to put in new fresh-air ducts on an 800, worked fine.
                Lil Red Bus
                1967 800

Comment

Working...
                X