196 engine swap Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 196 engine swap Q's

I have a '67 scout 800 with the 196 slant 4. The engine has about 150k on in. I am having fits trying to get it to pass the emission test. It also has not run right since I got it. I finally pulled the head and found it has a crack in each cylinder from the spark plug hole to the intake valve. So that means a new head.
    I have been looking and found some info on engine swaps with the 4 cyl and it seems each article I find has conflicting info. Some say it is near impossible and some say it is not too bad. I don't need a v8 but I have access to some 90*chevy v6s that would suit my needs well. Has anyone done this swap? I would like to end up with a reliable engine that is easy to get parts for. I would also like a litlle higher rev out of it so I can actually get on to the freeway.
    If the swap is too involved I would probobly elect to stay with the four but am getting weary of working on it. BTW the scout sat for about 20 years and that is part of the problem with the engine and trans and transfer case and drivelines and brakes etc..
    Walker
    '67 scout 800
    '67 Chevy C-10

Welcome......how difficult a swap like that will be depends entirely on your resources, fabrication skills, mechanical ability, etc. So there isn't an easy answer. Remember you will be dealing with wiring, exhaust, motor mounts, transmission/TC, radiator, etc. Also keep in mind that you will still have to pass emissions, although theoretically they can only make you pass the sniff test and the gas system integrity. That old, they aren't supposed to even open the hood, although...

Have you talked with Jerry at C&W Auto in PHX? If you're not familiar, he's located on the corner of 19th St & Washington. Also, there is an AZ Scout club that could be a resource to you...

I don't know of anyone that has a Scout with Chev V6, although it sounds like a nice swap if a person is going to swap. I guarantee you could fix your motor for cheaper, but maybe that doesn't suit your goals.
    Lil Red Bus
    1967 800

Comment

Ronnie, Thanks for the reply. I got out there with a tape measure and discovered the problems with a v engine swap. No, I was not familiar with C&W auto I'll look him up. What is the name of the Scout Club or how do I check it out?
      Thanks, Andy
      Walker
      '67 scout 800
      '67 Chevy C-10

Comment

Local club is the Sonora Desert Scouts, website is www.sonoradesertscouts.com. Website has details, but meetings are second Wed of each month 7pm, see club website for location. Everyone's welcome, most people eat during the meeting.

Jerry's shop works on Scouts and IH's almost exclusively...
        Edit 12/05: C&W Auto is closing early 2006.

What things did the tape measure tell you right away? I'm curious....

Later....R:)
        Last edited by Ronnie; 12-10-2005, 09:26 AM. Reason: new info
        Lil Red Bus
        1967 800

Comment

The tape told me that there is no room on the drivers side of the engine compartment, at the firewall, for a v type engine. It seems the opening is not centered. So it looks like major surgery to do it. I found a head today, and should have the other parts in the mail by the weekend so I should be back on the road soon.
          Thanks for the help.
          Walker
          '67 scout 800
          '67 Chevy C-10

Comment

Working...
          X